Trip Report: St. Kitts, Pro Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently returned from a cruise to the Caribbean with stops in a few islands. We dove St. Kitts and St. Thomas. I will cover St. Thomas in another thread.

We dove St. Kitts with Pro Divers. The op is owned/run by Austin, his wife Margot handled the reservations, Germaine was the mate that handled the gear. We disembarked the ship and were met by Margot and Austin who drove us the 3-5 minutes to their shop and pier. After a few minutes going over the paperwork and payment we were aboard the boat and pretty soon after on our way.

The boat was very well organized and had a nice center bench for setting up and donning/doffing equipment and side benches with storage underneath. They hung a clean descent/ascent line and also a spare tank with regulators in case anyone found themselves in need of a long safety stop or low on air.

We were a pretty small group, there were five divers including an exceptionally nice gentleman name Terry, a transplanted Brit, who also has his own website called My St. Kitts Dive Buddy and is also an SB member. At the time he took the day off to dive with us but Terry has since retired from his day job and now works full time with ProDivers.

Our first dive was "The Rock" which is a reef that is loaded with life. What I liked most about this site was simply the enormous amount of corals and general health of the reef. There were tons of feather dusters, fans (and flamingo tongues), tube sponges, and tunicates. There was no lack of fish but for me, it was the reef itself that stole the show. Some of the more memorable fish we saw were a large French Angel fish, parrot fish, trumpet fish, some tangs and different wrasses. We spent most of our dive time in the 50-70 foot range. Keep in mind that we were easily impressed as this was our first ocean dive after being certified, but it seemed that there simply wasn't a square inch of sea bottom that wasn't alive on this dive.

We had a surface interval during which a cooler full of water and other beverages was offered while we traveled to our next dive site. That site was the wreck, M.V. River Taw, naturally it is a shallower site, and aside from it being a but it was also very different from the rock. Here the bottom was very sandy with "spots" of corals and, of course, the wreck. The best of the viewing here were schools of snappers, lizard fish, a couple of large starfish, a shrimp (unknown type with small blue claws), George the resident large barracuda, fairy wrasse and a moderately sized cow fish.

All in all, if you can't tell already, I was very impressed by ProDivers' professionalism and friendliness. I can't say enough nice things about Terry, who is an exceptionally nice fellow and an instructor who accompanied us on our dive, and as I mentioned above, has now joined them full time.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Welcome to open water diving! Now you have an excuse to travel to where its warm when its really cold!!

Thanks - that's also another reason I like this hobby - it's one that can include a setting my wife also enjoys.

I recently returned from a cruise to the Caribbean with stops in a few islands. We dove St. Kitts and St. Thomas. I will cover St. Thomas in another thread.

We dove St. Kitts with Pro Divers. The op is owned/run by Austin, his wife Margot handled the reservations, Germaine was the mate that handled the gear. We disembarked the ship and were met by Margot and Austin who drove us the 3-5 minutes to their shop and pier. After a few minutes going over the paperwork and payment we were aboard the boat and pretty soon after on our way.

The boat was very well organized and had a nice center bench for setting up and donning/doffing equipment and side benches with storage underneath. They hung a clean descent/ascent line and also a spare tank with regulators in case anyone found themselves in need of a long safety stop or low on air.

We were a pretty small group, there were five divers including an exceptionally nice gentleman name Terry, a transplanted Brit, who also has his own website called My St. Kitts Dive Buddy and is also an SB member. At the time he took the day off to dive with us but Terry has since retired from his day job and now works full time with ProDivers.

Our first dive was "The Rock" which is a reef that is loaded with life. What I liked most about this site was simply the enormous amount of corals and general health of the reef. There were tons of feather dusters, fans (and flamingo tongues), tube sponges, and tunicates. There was no lack of fish but for me, it was the reef itself that stole the show. Some of the more memorable fish we saw were a large French Angel fish, parrot fish, trumpet fish, some tangs and different wrasses. We spent most of our dive time in the 50-70 foot range. Keep in mind that we were easily impressed as this was our first ocean dive after being certified, but it seemed that there simply wasn't a square inch of sea bottom that wasn't alive on this dive.

We had a surface interval during which a cooler full of water and other beverages was offered while we traveled to our next dive site. That site was the wreck, M.V. River Taw, naturally it is a shallower site, and aside from it being a but it was also very different from the rock. Here the bottom was very sandy with "spots" of corals and, of course, the wreck. The best of the viewing here were schools of snappers, lizard fish, a couple of large starfish, a shrimp (unknown type with small blue claws), George the resident large barracuda, fairy wrasse and a moderately sized cow fish.

All in all, if you can't tell already, I was very impressed by ProDivers' professionalism and friendliness. I can't say enough nice things about Terry, who is an exceptionally nice fellow and an instructor who accompanied us on our dive, and as I mentioned above, has now joined them full time.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
And thank you so much for your kind words.
As I always say, we dive because we love it. If you have a bad day, so do we!

Really glad you both enjoyed your time with us.

Enjoy your diving, wherever you go

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom