Trip Report - The Smiling Seahorse Mergui Archipelago (Myanmar)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your report and photos. IMO, diving Myanmar is problematic on several levels and from what you report seeing (and your great photos), there doesn't seem to be anything unique to the marine life to over-ride such concerns (and nets and full fish traps I can do without).
It's not exactly unique, but it's kinda like Richelieu Rock all over, and without the massive crowds. Last time I was at Richelieu, there were IIRC nine boats alongside ours, each disgorging swarms of divers - in Mergui, The Smiling Seahorse is literally the only dive boat running trips this season. Next season a few more are expected, but still, I imagine encountering even one other dive boat will be a major event, as opposed to the heavy traffic in Thailand.

It's not exactly unique, but it's kinda like Richelieu Rock all over, and without the massive crowds. Last time I was at Richelieu, there were IIRC nine boats alongside ours, each disgorging swarms of divers - in Mergui, The Smiling Seahorse is literally the only dive boat running trips this season. Next season a few more are expected, but still, I imagine encountering even one other dive boat will be a major event, as opposed to the heavy traffic in Thailand.
No other diving boat!!!!! It won't happen in Phuket.

No other diving boat!!!!! It won't happen in Phuket.
Well, Kata Beach is reasonably uncrowded, at least it was last time I was there. Still, it can't be denied that diving traffic in Thailand is quite heavy, especially at the better sites like Richelieu Rock, Hin Daeng/Hin Muang or Stonehenge. I kinda miss COVID that way - in January 2022, I spent three and a half days at Richelieu Rock with the Smiling Seahorse, seeing just one other liveboard and a small yacht in that period, each coming for maybe a couple dives.

The lack of other boats is certainly a positive point, compared to the boat/diver scrum at any of the Thai north Andaman dive sites.

By the way, I forgot to mention, but if you're a certified solo diver and have all the required gear (i.e. redundant air supply, two computers, two SMBs, cutting tools, etc), The Smiling Seahorse allows solo diving - you can head off into the wild blue yonder and not see anyone for an hour. I believe pony bottles are available for rent. If you're with a buddy, you are not obligated to stick with a group either - you splash down with the group, but then, if you're so inclined, you can make your own path, just stick to the 60 minute dive time.

Well, Kata Beach is reasonably uncrowded, at least it was last time I was there.

30 REPORTED cases in one week!!! How about reported cases? Tens of thousands? Possible.

This could be the reason why tourists stay away from Kata Beach..

With what is happening in Myanmar now I will never give a cent to this government ! Even if the dives are nice and less crowded. They kill, torture, arrest their citizen : my pleasure diving is not worth me supporting them...

Back
Top Bottom