Trip Report: Wreck Of Alma E.a. Holmes With R/v Gauntlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's been pretty quiet here so I thought I would post some diving. Pretty much every dive charter this winter I've booked has been blown out/canceled due to weather. I've had to resort to shore diving to get to my fix but I'm getting sick of washing sand and mud from my gear :-(

Thankfully last weekend provided some great winter conditions and I was able to get out with North Atlantic Dive Expeditions (Gauntlet) and dive Alma Holmes. A couple weeks prior, I was on Cape Ann Diver's boat doing a scallop dive and Poling dive and we had decent conditions too.

I took a little GoPro video my 4 lights. Getting a bit of backscatter so I'm going to try to upgrade to longer arms/bigger lights in future.

Full Report Here: Diving the wreck of Alma E.A. Holmes - wrecklessdiver.com

The Alma E. A. Holmes was a four-masted schooner that was used to transport coal. She sank on October 10, 1914 following a collision with the steamer Belfast. (Source: wikipedia)

She lies in approximately 160ft (49m) of water off the coast of Marblehead, Massachusetts. It is a very pretty wreck that is covered in lots of frilled anemones and northern red anemones similar to a lot of other deeper wrecks in the area.

While the wreck itself is mostly the skeletal ribs, what remains of gunnels and debris it is a somewhat easy wreck to navigate. It is however not without its dangers and is covered in rogue ghost traps, nets and monofilament line. This is the 3rd time that I have dove on her and first time diving her on my rebreather.

Max depth was 151ft (or 148ft depending on which Shearwater I looked at, weird.). I had a bottom time of about 28 minutes with a total runtime of 63 minutes. Visibility was a solid 15-20ft and water temperature was 39f.

thanks for the report, it's always nice to read reports from some of the lesser posted about sites!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom