Trouble Venting Air from Wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm considering a Transpac + Voyager EXP Wing as my new BC purchase next month and I heard from one person that there can be trouble venting air in a horizontal position. He told me you have to be completely verticle (head up) to vent all the air out.

Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about that at all, it's not an issue that I have had or ever heard of.

I have a Travel EXP wing and I don't ever have to be 100% vertical to dump air. I guess I can't say with 100% certainty that I am able to dump "all" the air out, but I can easily maintain the air volume needed to control my buoyancy without having to move from a horizontal posture to vertical.

The Transpac is super comfy, but expect that you'll have to dive it a good bit while making small adjustments before it's perfect.

Best,

Learn how to use the wing! There are 2 dumps on the wing for a reason. While swimming horizonatlly, use the butt dump. You can be completely head down and dump the entire wing if you want to. I never dump air from my inflator anymore, there's really no need.

I think you're referring to the trapezoidal Venture wings. They were (imho) too wide in the back for use with a single tank and purging them could be awkward when horizontal (taco effect).

Dive Rite replaced that design by the Voyager wing, which should fix the problem. The Voyager looks a lot like my ancient Venture (rectangular, not trapezoidal), which is a great wing and has no problem purging.

I have been diving the Venture Exp Wing for a little over one year (50 dives) and have not had any issues dumping air. it is designed with tie down clips to keep tacoing from happening. With a lower dump on bottom, all you have to do is be at a slight downward angle and all the air will vent. awsum wing. gives great lift over hips because of the trapizoid shape very easy to trim out.With the harness Lets you feel free of gear while diving. I don't like using any other bcd. Unless I am helping with classes then I have to near a uniform bcd.

Thanks so much. I'm relatively new to diving and making these big purchases is a bit scary. Ask 5 divers for gear advice and they will all give you different answers. We drove 2 hours to try on Transpacs last week (will someone in the SF Bay area please stock these?!) and loved them.

Just bought a Voyager wing and a Transplate harness myself. Seems to work like a charm, allthrough I still have to test a few adjustments on the harness. Even on my first dive with the Voyager, I had no problem at all dumping air.

Looking at the Voyager as well. I borrowed a friend's setup in Monterey that had SST backplate, STA, HP100, trilam suit and 16 lbs weight - the setup however used a Rec EXP which I felt gave me squirrely buoyancy control.

Any thoughts on how the Voyager would perform (in the same setup)?

Learn how to use the wing! There are 2 dumps on the wing for a reason. While swimming horizonatlly, use the butt dump. You can be completely head down and dump the entire wing if you want to. I never dump air from my inflator anymore, there's really no need.

This is what I was going to suggest. I rarely use my inflator to release air as you have to be almost vertical to do that. That isn't any kind of wing fault - just the laws of physics!

This is what I was going to suggest. I rarely use my inflator to release air as you have to be almost vertical to do that. That isn't any kind of wing fault - just the laws of physics!

This of course, turns out not to be the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom