Truk Lagoon fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Cross posted from "Name that Critter", but I figured I might get more local knowledge here...

I went to Truk Lagoon this year (AWESOME trip!), and added a number of fish to my fish database. I had never been in the Pacific before (other than California and Seattle area), so many of these are new to me. I got the Humann and DeLoach "Reef Fish" book, and I was able to identify most of them, but there were some that I just wasn't sure about. Any ideas? Thanks!

Here are the photos: Truk Lagoon fish ID

Mike

Just off the top of my head, I think the first fish is a dwarf angel, a Centropyge, and the last almost certainly a squirrelfish.

Thanks! The last one is certainly red with big eyes.... I agree. Couldn't find a squirrelfish with those markings, but could be a color variant or just a local version.

Possibly a Longjawed Squirrelfish, Sargocentron spiniferon. Dwarf angel possibly C. fisheri.

Definitely agree about the Squirrelfish. Thanks!

Don't think that the first one is a Dwarf Angel - all of the photos that I see of that fish are mostly orange. My fish #1 really looks more like a Damselfish, and it has those facial markings.

1 is a damselfish

2 looks like a kind of dart fish

3 is a blue spot puffer Canthigaster solandri

4, 5, 6, idk

7 is a juvenile red stripe wrasse Halichoeres biocellatus pic up-side down

8 looks like a snapper

9 yellow spot trevally , Carangoides fulvoguttatus

10, 11 damselfish

12 Sabre squirrelfish Sargocentron spiniferum

1 is a damselfish

2 looks like a kind of dart fish

3 is a blue spot puffer Canthigaster solandri

4, 5, 6, idk

7 is a juvenile red stripe wrasse Halichoeres biocellatus pic up-side down

8 looks like a snapper

9 yellow spot trevally , Carangoides fulvoguttatus

10, 11 damselfish

12 Sabre squirrelfish Sargocentron spiniferum

Awesome, thanks!

Funny about #7... Normally eyes are more topside on that sort of fish and it never occurred to me that it was upside down. No WONDER I couldn't find anything with an ocellated spot on the ventral surface! LOL...

Mike

Back
Top Bottom