Truk's Kimiuo Aisek: Int. Scuba Diving Hall of Fame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strongdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
On 26 January 2009, Master Diver Kimiuo Aisek was inducted into the International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame. The ceremony was held on Grand Cayman Island. Founder of Blue Lagoon Dive Shop in 1973, the first dive operation in Micronesia, Kimiuo made Truk Lagoon famous as "the world's best wreck dive." Kimiuo died of a heart attack at age 73 in 2001. His award was accepted by his son, Gradvin, and grandson, Iadvin. Cayman Islands Minister of Tourism, Charles Clifford, presented the trophy.

Kimiuo was only 17 when he watched the allied attack on the 4th Fleet of the Japanese Imperial Navy in Truk Lagoon. During Operation Hailstone, Feb. 17-18, 1944, Kimiuo watched as more than 30 ships and aircraft sank, becoming a underwater grave. Kimiuo's video-biography was prepared by Jack and Sue Drafahl and can be seen at:

Untitled Document

Dianne Strong is the official biographer of Kimiuo, and is looking for a publisher for "Witness to War: Truk Lagoon's Dive Master Kimiuo Aisek."

Will some member please advise me of a more appropriate place to post this news, since it is not a question! Tanks!

Attachments

• Minister.Clifford.24.jpg
    Minister.Clifford.24.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 219
A much deserved honor late in coming and posthumously awarded, but nevertheless highlighting his achievements in re-discovering the Truk Lagoon Wrecks and celebrating the life and history of a great Pacific Islander. To me, what Kimiuo Aisek did for Chuuk is similar to what Duke Kahanamoku did for Hawaii --both becoming heroes of their sport, and ambassadors of good will for their native land. . .

Last edited:
Excellent comparison,Kevrumbo! And what great sports: surfing and scuba diving!

Great dry suit in your profile pic. I do prefer the 84 degree water here in Guam and in Chuuk. But I will never forget my 6 dry suit dives in Monterey. I carried a light (day dives) and each dive was like a night dive in Truk Lagoon!

Thanks for replying!

Attachments

• PostTriMix.jpg
    PostTriMix.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 189
Great dry suit in your profile pic. I do prefer the 84 degree water here in Guam and in Chuuk. But I will never forget my 6 dry suit dives in Monterey.

I'll be diving in the 84deg water in Chuuk next week, but rest assured I will be diving dry there!

:eyebrow:

Hey, NJ DM! I cut my teeth on the Jersey wrecks in '69! My first ocean dive I rolled over to the City of Athens with a 3' free board in doubles (my 1st year of diving) and had forgotten my Jet fins! Geez! Nice lobstahs!

Dry suit in Chuuk? You gotta be kidding! 3mm is fine -- add a hooded best for dive #5 of the day (or night dive).

Liveboard or land-based?

Any layover in Guam? Or are you catching the red-eye out to HNL? I'd love to rendezvous. Any NJ diver is a friend of mine!

Dianne (YMCA instructor, '70, NAUI '77, Trimix '99)

Attachments

• Didoubles copy.jpg
    Didoubles copy.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 209
Kimiuo's biography, "Witness To War: Truk Lagoon's Master Diver Kimiuo Aisek," will be published in 2013. A Kickstarter campaign earned more than $23,000 to publish the hard cover book in time for the 40th anniversary of Blue Lagoon Dive Shop, Nov. 13, 2013, and before the 70th anniversary of Operation Hailstone. A donation of $3,000 is supporting the construction of the Kimiuo Aisek Memorial Museum, already in progress. Now artifacts can be returned to Chuuk, preserved and safely displayed. Already the bell from the Rio de Janeiro has been returned (pre 1971 law).

Back
Top Bottom