TSA and the transmitter, a short travel story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just be glad that Richard Reed put that bomb in his sneeker and not up his backside.

As for TSA (Thousands Standing Around), they have a higher turnover then MacD's. Who works for the TSA? Those who can't get a job elsewhere.

Oh give me a break, they don't need to be total A holes to do it. Wait until they bend you over backwards, see if you have the same opinion.

I had a really well written reply, rare for me, and my computer crashed so I will summarize it.

The TSA folks have a hard freaking job, I know I have done similiar jobs while on activated. You do their job for several months and see how you act, not saying their actions are anything close to right if they are abusing their power.

gilldiver:
As for TSA (Thousands Standing Around), they have a higher turnover then MacD's. Who works for the TSA? Those who can't get a job elsewhere.

As for having a higher turn-over rate tham McDonalds, do you ever wonder why they have such a high turn over rate? Could it be because not everyone is able to deal with a-holes all day long? You know those people who think they are better than everyone else because they fly all the time or they are corp. executives?

I respect your opinions and am sure you have a reason behind why you believe what you do and it is my job to protect that, doesn't mean I have to agree though :)

John

:hijack:

Everybody can have a bad day. I have them from time to time. I can accept when I run into someone who is having a bad day. What I cannot tolerate is inconsistency in travel security. How is it protecting the public when every city has different standards? OK, so in my previous post I commented on how I had a stick of deodorant away from me. Let's assume that the TSA thought deodorant should not be allowed on the planes because it could potentially be a bomb. They did not swab it for anything....they just took it and I would have been going down on the plane anyways because the line next to me let my coworker through with his stick of deodorant (same kind I might add). All we are doing is painting a pretty picture to make people THINK that we are safer with all of this supposed security at our airports. I would be happy and rant less about airport security if it was at least consistent. The deodorant I lost was in Nashville on my way home to Toronto after flying from Toronto to St. Louis then on to Nashville.....nothing taken away and according to TSA no changes in their protocols (all fllights happened over three days). Consistency would make me a happier traveller. It is the "SURPRISE"s that upset people more than anything (IMHO).

Rant over. Sorry to everybody

[rant]Trust me I believe that each person should be held to the SAME standard, that however will never happen as long as we allow people to have emotions. I promise you millions (probably billions) of dollars have been spent to standardize the process. But you will always have the human error in anything that we do.[/rant]

BTW I never have a bad day. I just generally don't like people :)

[rant]Trust me I believe that each person should be held to the SAME standard, that however will never happen as long as we allow people to have emotions. I promise you millions (probably billions) of dollars have been spent to standardize the process. But you will always have the human error in anything that we do.[/rant]

BTW I never have a bad day. I just generally don't like people :)

Darn....I was looking for the soapbox smilie for my last post but thought it was based on RANT. I assumed it had been disposed of...now I know otherwise. Thanks.

At least my post was good for something :)

Yeah, its almost a joke with them sometimes, airport "security" is far from "secure".
For example....
I know a buddy that made a round trip to FL and back with his dive knife on his regulators, which he carried on. They even did the swab test and did not notice the knife. He did not do this on purpuse, but still, what a miss, and TWICE!

I have my own tale.....
My wife and I always travel together, this involved her as well.
To start, I never set off a metal detector, never. Well, the dam thing goes off 3 times. Only thing on me that was metal was the button on the front of my shorts and the zipper. So figure that out to start with. So needless to say, I get pulled to the side for a pat down. They even patted down my socks, which made me laugh. While this is happening the other TSA screener is giving my wife the 3rd degree that she has liquids in her bag, which she does not. My wife just tells them "if you think there are liquids in there, unpack the whole bag". So they did, they spent 10 minutes going through the whole bag. The contents of the bag was a regulator set, plastic Ikelite camera housing, small camera, and cloths. They did not find anything, because there was nothing to find. Now here is the kicker... MY bags, the guy who needed a pat down and treated like a total threat.... My bag has an all aluminum camera housing, strobes, regulators, strobe arms, chargers... Stuff I know there Xray can not see through, theres no way. Yeah, my bag was not opened, they did not ask about it, just took it off the belt and on my way. You would think if they wasted the time to pat down a guy in jean shorts, tee shirt, and crocks, you would take the time to figure out what all those black blobs are in his carryon?

I always bring my regulator and computer on board with me. However, I always tell TSA guys that are screening that they will see scuba gear: regulator and hoses and a big watch. I think if they know what to expect, most of the time they are ok with it.

Our problem is that JB's bags are all postive for explosives.

So...I make him go seperate from me so I don't get all inconvenienced by all that.

I get pulled to the side for a pat down. They even patted down my socks, which made me laugh.

If you ever have the chance travel through Poland. There TSA are the Border Guards and nicer looking women, shall we say HOT, Boarder guards are not to be found anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom