TSA ban on SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roakey made a good point. What is at issue is not what the FAA will allow on an airplane, but with what the TSA will permit to go beyond their security check point. Again ,as with most laws, the most restrictive law is in control. If you can get an empty scuba cylinder past the TSA check point, the FAA or DOT does not seem to have a problem with it. Since TSA is not bound by the DOT or FAA's definitions of what is a "compressed gas cylinder" they are free to create their own (sometimes on the fly it would seem). I hope TSA clarifies their rules because as things stand right now it seems to be hit or miss.

It gets better, I just contacted the TSA to query the regulation and was told that the reason that you can't check scuba cylinders even with the valve removed is because there is the possibility of residual air remaining in the cylinder which could explode. Pointing out that we are talking about the air we breath wouldn't change their mind. A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Anybody have a congressman/woman who is also a scuba diver? They might be happy to make an inquiry and would be unlikely to accept a really stupid answer.

I asked this same question to a TSA supervisor at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA on Monday. She informed me that not only would I be able to check the tank with the valve removed but I could even have it as a carry on.

Nothing like clear concise instructions from a government agency. They must have worked for the IRS prior to joining the TSA.

CA Diver....the problem with what you got as information is....he may let it on. But, the next guy coming back can pull our written TSA directives and stop you cold. Kiss one pony bottle goodbye....and the cost to ship one is in excess of $100 one way with fedex and ups. Havent looked at regular mail.

At this point....I would like to see dive ops have a few ponies around for renting. I know there are some here that hate them and dont mind stating those that use them are idiots...but to each his ...or her...own.

The only way that you'll be able to *reliably* bring a scuba cylinder with you on a flight is if TSA changes their official policy AND you have a printout from their site, or have something on TSA letterhead stating so, period.

Anything else is a crap shoot (and, right or wrong, when folks at the airport allow you on with a cylinder, it only highlights what a joke TSA is...)

Roak

I'm off on a trip to Ca on Monday with my RB which of course not only needs specific size bottles they need to be O2 clean, I am going to try reason at the checkin and hopefully it will work, but if anybody could steer me in the right direction for any kind of printed documentation to back it up I would greatly appreciate it. I know it's a crap shoot but it's my only choice at this point, then of course I've got to get them home too.

TechBlue:
I'm off on a trip to Ca on Monday with my RB which of course not only needs specific size bottles they need to be O2 clean ...then of course I've got to get them home too.
I was wondering about that, Chris.
I'll check a store or two and see if they rent.
I'll shoot you a mail.
S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom