TSA confiscated my dessicant packs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the best of my knowledge when the TSA opens and inspects a checked bag they tag it with some special tape that says it was opened by TSA.

If the TSA had some issue with the desiccant I would think that you would have had a more up close and personal visit by them sometime during your journey.

If your bag was not marked by the TSA I would guess that your desiccant was simply stolen by baggage handlers who thought they had scored some drugs. These guys don't have a lot of time with the bags so I would assume that many times they just grab it, stuff it, and then figure out what it is later.

Some desiccant packets are marked “Do Not Eat” maybe they should add “Do Not Smoke, Snort or Inject” :11:

I have had the TSA open my bags while in transit and they have always been marked.
Jeffrey

sharkbaitDAN:
A couple years back I was told by a TSA guy that silicone grease residue can set off their test for explosives when they swab a bag. I wonder if the dessicants might do the same, and they removed the dessicant to be on the safe side. When I travel with dive gear, I request they open it in front of me if they think they are going to need to open my bag.

I didn't know silicone grease could cause a false positive. I did have a small tube of silicone grease in the same ziplock bag.

I guessed that they pulled the bag of dessicant for closer inspection, got sidetracked by something, and forgot to put it (or the inspection notice) back in my bag.

sharkbaitDAN:
A couple years back I was told by a TSA guy that silicone grease residue can set off their test for explosives when they swab a bag.

wow. i always have tubes of grease in my carry-one photo case. that may be better because they don't swab them. when those machines that blow air and sample it become more common i may be getting yanked out of line more frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom