TSA = Idiots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not TSA but my wife had a really hard time trying to explain the Aladin Sport to a Chinese wand-waver when flying through Hong Kong
Aladin Sport.jpg

Not TSA but my wife had a really hard time trying to explain the Aladin Sport to a Chinese wand-waver when flying through Hong Kong
View attachment 123669

Quick note, whenever I travel to another country, I look up the language, and specific translations for things that I might be questioned on.
I haven't had to do this for SCUBA travel yet, but it might be handy to translate a few phrases down onto paper, then just show them the paper.

I've done this with odd computer gear in the past and it worked well.

This was an entertaining read (well in a sort of tragic kind of way :) ). My two favorite (non-diving related) TSA encounters involved my gf's perfume that I forgot to check (it was in a 3.1 oz bottle, so no go), over which the TSA lady made a big stink and got all po'd when I pointed out it was half empty. In the interest of not missing my plane I just handed it to her and said "Merry Christmas"...
Second wonderful encounter was last year leaving Chicago O'Hare: they didn't like all the Polish food I brought in my carry on, so they decided to scan me and pat me down. About halfway through the patdown I told the TSA "officer" that his search technique needed some work cause he was really crappy at it (I'm an LEO). He got his feelings hurt and tried yelling at me, at which point I told him to look in the side pocket of my carry on for my badge. He looked a little dumb(er) after that. I have yet to talk to a fellow cop that actually likes the TSA tools...

...my gf's perfume that I forgot to check (it was in a 3.1 oz bottle, so no go)...
:confused: Half full doesn't matter, but you're allowed 3.4 oz

From TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

I can't wait. When we I get sent back to the states it should be interesting. I can't mail some of my gear home because of Lithium batteries. I plan on carrying on all of my lights, cameras, computers. My dive gear will be in a checked bag. Getting out of here will not be a problem. It is the getting from wherever they send us in the states for a little while first, then on to my HOR. We take civilian flights. I can't wait to see what they say with me in uniform and a bunch of battery canisters. Damn.

On the other hand, I did walk into the x-ray machine with a microfiber cloth for cleaning my glasses in my pocket. They asked me to take it out then insisted i dangle it in my hand during the scan instead of letting me put it back in my pocket after they saw what it was.

Maybe I'm just lucky that "early-20's caucasian female" isn't very high on their list of terrorist stereotypes.

But I am sure some TSA employee was masturbating to your picture in the x-ray screen.

Somebody should come up with a clear body paint that shows up on the x-ray scanners. Imagine the fun you could have with that. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

One thing that always seems to bother me about the TSA going thru my stuff is they never close things. They have no problem opening stuff but for some reason they never reattach my compression straps or my most recent trip they opened up my toliet kit and then didn't rezip it. I found band aids, immodium tabs, benadryl and other stuff all over my bag. How lazy can these people be and what were they looking for in my toliet kit. If they have time to open stuff they should at least close it. I don't expect my bag to be repacked like I had it but leaving my toliet kit open like that was total BS.

:confused: Half full doesn't matter, but you're allowed 3.4 oz

From TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

Yup, I know but I was running late and did not feel like arguing and missing my plane. This is what happens when you give someone "official power" without proper training, pre-employment screening and testing.

Chinacat, I know what you mean... Last coming back from Mexico my girlfriend was like "baby, which one is your bag?" My reply was "the one with all the crap sticking out of it". Luckily this only resulted in a loss of a few socks and not my BC or any other gear. I also got annoyed when leaving the States last year and the TSA tool decided to bang my reg around (I always pack it in my carry on). I told him to be careful, to which he replied "It's metal, it's not like it's gonna break". We had a little "discussion" afterwards involving him and his supervisor.

This was an entertaining read (well in a sort of tragic kind of way :) ). My two favorite (non-diving related) TSA encounters involved my gf's perfume that I forgot to check (it was in a 3.1 oz bottle, so no go), over which the TSA lady made a big stink and got all po'd when I pointed out it was half empty. In the interest of not missing my plane I just handed it to her and said "Merry Christmas"...
Second wonderful encounter was last year leaving Chicago O'Hare: they didn't like all the Polish food I brought in my carry on, so they decided to scan me and pat me down. About halfway through the patdown I told the TSA "officer" that his search technique needed some work cause he was really crappy at it (I'm an LEO). He got his feelings hurt and tried yelling at me, at which point I told him to look in the side pocket of my carry on for my badge. He looked a little dumb(er) after that. I have yet to talk to a fellow cop that actually likes the TSA tools...

Oh boy do I have some stories for you then, one of which was also at o'hare.

I just got back from a trip with no hitches, they also let me carry on a mostly empty 8oz bottle of mirazyne with no questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom