Tubbataha Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone dived at Tubbataha before? How is it like? Thinking about making a trip there soon.

:06:

I'm going there May 16-21.

So far this is what I can gathered...

TUBBATAHA

Sulu Sea is a large expanse of water located in the Southeast Asian region known as the Coral Triangle. It actually covers the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia. Studies and research shows that it contains more than 30% of the world’s coral reefs. Sulu Sea covers about 260,000 square kilometers with the deepest portion measured at approximately 5,580 meters. Together with the Sulawesi (Celebes) Sea, it comprises one of the world’s 49 largest marine ecosystems.
In the heart of it lies a 33,200-hectare community of diverse corals, fishes, marine mammals and invertebrates.
Data that was gathered from different research shows that the Sulu-Sulawesi Seas have over 450 species of corals. According to the marine biologists who visited and studied the area, it is the center for genetic richness and the diversity of sea grass with 16 known species. Also, found are the some 400 species of marine algae, 380 fish species, 7 species of seagrasses, 6 species of marine turtles and 222 species of marine mammals, most of which are already endangered. Tubbataha is a center of genetic richness.

Tubbataha Reef, a dream destination for many avid divers, is teeming with aquatic life.

Wolverine:
Hey, has anyone dived at Tubbataha before? How is it like? Thinking about making a trip there soon.

:06:

Go. It's awesome. The whole scene. Isolated out in the middle of the Sulu Sea...Unreal.

Hi,

where can I view the website? How many good operators for such tubataha dives?

Any idea the current costs if I go in late June?

scubadudee,

as far as i know none of the operators do trips to Tubbataha outside of March - May because of the unpredictable and very rough weather. That's why this has remained such a pristine dive spot. Sorry :(

Just there. Nice diving. Good sharks. Two short Whale Shark interactions. Heard dynamiting in the distance. Not much in the way of small creature action. Would definitely recommend.

Dybamiting? Are you sure, can you please provide specifics, what date and which dive site you were at? This is so I can relay itto teh Park managers.

bttmdwllr:
Dybamiting? Are you sure, can you please provide specifics, what date and which dive site you were at? This is so I can relay itto teh Park managers.

I was there aboard the Oceanic Explorer. Dates 22-25 April. Heard explosions on several occasions. Boat also said they reported. Heard while at several sites at South Tubbataha - Black Rock.

FYI. I just spent 3.5 months in Indo-Pacific. Saw and heard recent dynamiting at sites in Myanmar (Burma), Komodo National Park - Indonesia, and Anilao - Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom