Review Tulamben August '23 Review Report - Matahari and Scuba Tribe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carono6333

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thought i'd drop a quick review of my recent trip to Tulamben (me and the missus)

Matahari Accommodation: Arrived and found we had been given a room facing the main road, which was incredibly noisy. Mentioned to front desk we couldn't stay and was given another room. Room was ok... a bit small and tatty, but hey it's a budget room.

Matahari Diving: Went to the dive centre and immediately knew it was not the place for us. Seems to be catering for large groups from the Asian market.

So.... decided to take a look around Tulamben and find another budget option. Mimbi looked great, but a bit expensive for my tight budget

Scuba Tribe had a room and offered a very personal diving service. We moved there immediately. The room was actually cheaper than Matahari and was much bigger, cleaner, and in better condition. We really enjoyed staying there.

For diving they have a policy not to mix divers, so the two of us had our own guide. Mang (guide) was brilliant. He always asked us where we would like to go and was brilliant at spotting all the very small stuff. His instagram (scubadiving.tulamben) can give a good idea on what he can find.

Scuba Tribe give a discount on the room if you are diving. We chose a 10 dive package (further discount). They also give a free lunch to divers, and do not charge any extra for transport. Even though Matahari appeared cheaper, we worked out that it's actually slightly cheaper to dive with Scuba Tribe - so my recommendation is to stay and dive with them. They are also closer to the USAT Liberty, which is great for the early mornings.

For eating i recommend to get out of the resorts and eat at the Warungs. Of note was Warung Dini, which was superb food at a great price. We got talking to a guy called Eric who lives in the house at the back of Warung Dini and it turns out he services dive gear. That was perfect and the next day he fixed my self-inflating BCD for a very bargain price (50k rupia). Thanks Eric!

Thanks for your review.

It would be helpful if you could post the price differences between the places you used.

I'm heading to Tulamben next month to Villa Alba for the fifth time. It's reasonably quiet there and has its own house reef too, which is actually decent for wide angle photography should that take anyone's fancy.

I can't wait for some clear water again.

Thanks for your review.

It would be helpful if you could post the price differences between the places you used.

I'm heading to Tulamben next month to Villa Alba for the fifth time. It's reasonably quiet there and has its own house reef too, which is actually decent for wide angle photography should that take anyone's fancy.

I thought Villa Alba no longer existed. It certainly was not open when I was there earlier this year. Instead there was Alba Tulamben, in the main street, which was owned by the local female partner of Villa Alba. Has it reopened?

Excellent report!
In case of any problem, I always ask Eric when in Tulamben : he fixed my BCD with the same exact problem you had, serviced and derusted my regulator that I accidentally dropped into salt water, first stage open.

I thought Villa Alba no longer existed. It certainly was not open when I was there earlier this year. Instead there was Alba Tulamben, in the main street, which was owned by the local female partner of Villa Alba. Has it reopened?
It never closed except during the time of COVID restrictions.

I was there last May and October. Jessica the owner I believe is now divorced and Alex has started new things in Candidasa.

DM me if you want contact details

Thank you for sharing your experience and recommendations for stay, dive and eat! Very helpful:)

Thanks for your review.

20230801_103145.jpg20230801_103313.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom