Tulum Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, just slightly north of Tulum but almost.

I went down there over Christmas and did a bit of reef diving and a couple days in the cenotes. The reef wasnt that exciting but the cenotes were and a day trip to Chichen Itza was quite good as well. The resort was Grand Sirenis and i would highly recommend it.

This is definitely not a place to go if you've done any reefs in the area before - just not interesting enough. I'd much rather spend a couple days in Cozumel and the rest in the cenotes if i was doing this trip again in the exact same area.

Here is an underwater gallery from that trip:

DivePics - Underwater Photography - Mayan Riviera

There are also some above water (of Chichen Itza and the resort):

Chichen Itza

and

Grand Sirenis

Here is a shot from the Dos Ojos cenote from those galleries:

037.jpg

steve

The area's cenotes are truly world class, if not the best in the world. If you liked CI, go to Ek Balam on your next trip. Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Wow . . . I haven't even finished going through your galleries, but they are absolutely beautiful. For someone who is in love with those caves, your beautifully chosen photographs are enough to induce palpitations.

Boy, do I wish somebody would get a picture of me in perfect trim like that :)

Glad you enjoyed the cenotes. A little cave training, and you can go so much further . . .

Wow, fantastic pictures. :D
My husband, daughter and I are talking about doing this trip later in the year. We have been to Cozumel 5 times so we would skip that, just the cenotes and seeing more of the Mayan ruins is what we want. So I want more details!
Who did you do the cenotes with?
Which cenotes?
Did you rent a car and go to Chichen Itza or did you go with a group from hotel?
Cost?
We did a day to Coba and Tulum back 8 years ago and loved it. They told us then that Coba was still being dug out and would be better in a few years. Did you get over there to see it? We loved it but thought Tulum was a bit disappointing. Anything else you could recommend?

thanks!

Looks like there is decent reef diving right off shore there at the resort.

Was shore diving allowed there. I have a family and would like to be able to dive while my (yet) non diving family snorkles above me.

Thanks for posting!

Love the pics, just got back...took my KiteBoarding gear but the wind sucked for a week :( It is sad though to see all the destruction in the Cenotes.

Wow, fantastic pictures. :D
My husband, daughter and I are talking about doing this trip later in the year. We have been to Cozumel 5 times so we would skip that, just the cenotes and seeing more of the Mayan ruins is what we want. So I want more details!
Who did you do the cenotes with?
Which cenotes?
Did you rent a car and go to Chichen Itza or did you go with a group from hotel?
Cost?
We did a day to Coba and Tulum back 8 years ago and loved it. They told us then that Coba was still being dug out and would be better in a few years. Did you get over there to see it? We loved it but thought Tulum was a bit disappointing. Anything else you could recommend?

thanks!

We did the cenotes through the dive shop that was on site at grand sirenis. everything was taken care of by them including transportation etc.

We only did Dos Ojos but i think there were a few others on offer as well.

Chichen itza we did on a big coach bus with food served and serveral stop offs including shopping, lunch and another cenote to swim in. That was 30 bux more than this other version of the tour and well worth it. cost for the whole day was 100 ux.

Didnt see coba and didnt see tulum but next time hopefully.

i would highly recommend Grand Sirenis for the trip you are thinking of. Fantastic place and great staff.

Looks like there is decent reef diving right off shore there at the resort.

Was shore diving allowed there. I have a family and would like to be able to dive while my (yet) non diving family snorkles above me.

Thanks for posting!

Apparently it was far too shallow to do any diving there and there was a lot of boat traffic so even the snorkling bounds were prett small. I'm no snorkeller but i was tempted to do it, just got drunk far too often :)

Didnt see coba and didnt see tulum but next time hopefully.

i

Trust me, since you have been to CI, skip Coba and Tulum and go to Ek Balam. Been to CI and it is impressive, but I will always go back to Ek Balam at the drop of a hat.

BTW, for your next trip try Dream Gate for your cenote dive.

Those are some of the best cenote pics I've ever seen. You truly captured the spirit. You also have the only shot of the paintings on the wall, other than the one i took this past November. :wink: What is your camera setup?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom