Tulum Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the pictures - fabulous. We're already lined up to go in July. Cenotes are new to us. It's going to be an experience. Any comments about temperatures/suits? Looks cold-ish.

Driftwood - we are going inland and hope to get to a number of ruins. Why Ek Balam? Any comments on other sites?

Holbox and the whale sharks (snorkelling) are also on the agenda. Can anyone recommend an operation up there?

We are new to Mexico so any information gratefully received.

Water temperature in the cenotes is about 75 degrees. I used a 3 mil wetsuit the first time, and I was fine; the 5 mil I used the second time was even better.

Thanks for the pictures - fabulous. We're already lined up to go in July. Cenotes are new to us. It's going to be an experience. Any comments about temperatures/suits? Looks cold-ish.

Driftwood - we are going inland and hope to get to a number of ruins. Why Ek Balam? Any comments on other sites?

Holbox and the whale sharks (snorkelling) are also on the agenda. Can anyone recommend an operation up there?

We are new to Mexico so any information gratefully received.

All the major Mayan buildings were coated in stucco and brightly painted. What we see today the Mayans would consider to be unfinished. At Ek Balam a goodly portion of the stucco remains and the site is literally rewriting the books on Mayan art. What you will see at Ek Balam looks more like art you would see coming from Bali than the Mayans. Excavation only started about 10 years ago. BTW, Ek Balam is just off the road to Rio Lagartos/Holbox.

Comments on other Mayan sites. CI, if you are only going to one site then it should be CI. Get there early in the morning to avoid the heat (I always have my 2 liter canteen with me) and crowds. The largest Mayan city in the area was Coba. It is mostly unexcavated, has the highest pyramid, and gives off a kind of "Indiana Jones" feel. When you are on the top of the main pyramid, all the bumps you see above the jungle canopy are unexcavated ruins. Tulum has the best site for any Mayan ruin being right on the coast. It is worth the trip for the pictures with the Caribbean as a background. The ruins themselves are pretty unimpressive and Tulum has the most restricted access to the buildings.

Getting there, both CI and Ek Balam are close to the colonial town of Villadolid (west northwest of Cancun). It is a very long day from either Coz or Playa del Carmen to get to either site and return (12 to 14 hours). Personally, I would stay in Villadolid one night, tour the town/cenotes, catch CI in the morning and Ek Balam on the way back. Tulum is about 1 1/2 hours south of the Cancun airport and is a straight shot down Highway 307. Coba is north of Tulum and is easy to find.

I have seen Coba and Tulum and really don't have much need to visit them again. CI and especially Ek Balam are worth many return visits. Go to Can-Do Maps and travel guides and get their Yucatan map. Without a doubt the best guide to the area and a bargain at $8 (the rest of the maps are excellent as well).

Enjoy the trip and wish that I was there with you!

Many thanks. TSandM - will go to my conversion charts and find out what 75 F is. Brit divers have so much fun - we can dive to the West (Carib) and to the East (Sulawesi rocks!!!), we can dive American, we can dive European. We do Fs (!), we do Cs, we do Ms, Yds, Ft, we do psi, we do Bar, we do ks of lead, we do lbs of lead.

We will be at Puerto Aventuras and will dive cenotes near there. Have read lots on previous posts and hopefully there will be lots more before the summer. All helps to get a picture of what to look for, what to expect.

Driftwood, info on the ruins most useful. Particularly about CI in the morning and EkB on the way back. We will be staying in Valladolid - from what I'd read it looked to be the right kind of place. I read somewhere something about an evening light show at CI - is this true? Worth a look?

Can you dive cenotes near Valladolid? If so - any recommendations on dive ops?

Those are some of the best cenote pics I've ever seen. You truly captured the spirit. You also have the only shot of the paintings on the wall, other than the one i took this past November. :wink: What is your camera setup?

Camera setup is just a canon rebel xti, ikelight housing and 2 sea and sea strobes... the cam is not capable of the kinds of shots i wanted to take in there in the time frame i had. I really want a new cam now. Got the itch yet again.

Ya, temps were 77 - i was in that water for 4 hours the second day in a 3mil and all seemed quite well.

We will be at Puerto Aventuras and will dive cenotes near there. Have read lots on previous posts and hopefully there will be lots more before the summer. All helps to get a picture of what to look for, what to expect.

Driftwood, info on the ruins most useful. Particularly about CI in the morning and EkB on the way back. We will be staying in Valladolid - from what I'd read it looked to be the right kind of place. I read somewhere something about an evening light show at CI - is this true? Worth a look?

Can you dive cenotes near Valladolid? If so - any recommendations on dive ops?

The hotel I like in Valladolid is http://www.mesondelmarques.com. Nice colonial building right on the main square and a very good place to eat. There is a light show at CI but I have never been to it. I have heard very good things about it though. Personally, I have not spent much time in all the cenotes around Valladolid, and have never heard of a dive operation operating tours to them. Since you will be staying in PA, I would get both the Riveria Maya and Playa del Carmen maps from the mapchick.

Just for fun, here is a link to give you an idea of what Ek Balam is like. Playa del Carmen - Mayan Ruins Of Ek Balam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom