Question Tulum vs Playa for diving plus family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I would like to plan for a family trip to Yucatan where to mix diving training and family activities (beach, Maya ruins). My short list is Playa del Carmen and Tulum and wanted to hear your opinion on what to pick. I would be traveling with wife and 2 young daughters — none of them would be diving and will likely be at the beach when I am; we would spend.

Hi, I would like to plan for a family trip to Yucatan where to mix diving training and family activities (beach, Maya ruins). My short list is Playa del Carmen and Tulum and wanted to hear your opinion on what to pick. I would be traveling with wife and 2 young daughters — none of them would be diving and will likely be at the beach when I am; we would spend.
I would look at a place from Playa and south to Akumal.

Look into Puerto Aventuras. PA is about half way between PDC and Tulum, so easy access to many of the tourist destinations, plus there is an on-site dolphin discovery.

We started going there in 2004 and it became our staple (easy flight from DFW, and great relationship with dive shop) until COVID.

You can rent condos in the gated community, and there are multiple restaurants within the compound.

There's also a Chedraui grocery store right across the highway which is about a $5 cab ride each way (along with a farmer's market inside the compound a couple of times a week).

It is one of the few places along the Riviera Maya where, for ocean diving, you board the boat from a dock in a marina.

The ocean reefs are very healthy with good fish populations, maybe not the structure or drift diving you would expect in Cozumel, but we enjoyed the diving.

Most of the dive shops in PA also offer cenote diving.

Hello, when I go to playa (which is hardly ever) because COZUMEL is sooo much better, I preper the cenotes as diving in playa is very boring to me. If you are looking for a cenote guide, I HIGHLY recommend Davide from Ghost Divers, as he is a VERY good friend of mine and lives right in playa. He will pick you up and give you guided tour and is professional and one of the best cave divers in playa. Check out his website on GHOST DIVERS and please tell him Heather sent you. He will hook you up. Definaly check out dos ojos and taj ha cenotes. Please reach out to me if you have questions, as I basically live in Mexico now because I love it soooo much. Hope this helps. Heather :)

Look into Puerto Aventuras. PA is about half way between PDC and Tulum, so easy access to many of the tourist destinations, plus there is an on-site dolphin discovery.

We started going there in 2004 and it became our staple (easy flight from DFW, and great relationship with dive shop) until COVID.

You can rent condos in the gated community, and there are multiple restaurants within the compound.

There's also a Chedraui grocery store right across the highway which is about a $5 cab ride each way (along with a farmer's market inside the compound a couple of times a week).

It is one of the few places along the Riviera Maya where, for ocean diving, you board the boat from a dock in a marina.

The ocean reefs are very healthy with good fish populations, maybe not the structure or drift diving you would expect in Cozumel, but we enjoyed the diving.

Most of the dive shops in PA also offer cenote diving.
Please don't go to the Dolphin Discovery. Do a dolphin spotting outing on a boat. Much more fun and the dolphins aren't choking on sunscreen.

If you do an AI resort, Coz has better diving. If you want easy access to a beach, Playa Aventura or Puerto Morelos might be easier for your family.
The Coz beaches are hard to get to unless you have a car and know the public access points.

Please don't go to the Dolphin Discovery. Do a dolphin spotting outing on a boat. Much more fun and the dolphins aren't choking on sunscreen.
Please know that I was not endorsing the dolphin exhibit, merely pointing it out.

If you are in the PA compound, it is hard to ignore.

Back
Top Bottom