Turks and Caicos Shore/Shallow water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had trips to two different Turks and Caicos locations: Salt Cay and South Caicos.

About sharks, I wouldn't worry. We saw some but they are pretty shy. Most of the time, I saw them deep except for nurse sharks which were snoozing. Nurse sharks are not exactly threatening.

Salt Cay has some decent snorkling from the shore. I would just use the local dive shop. They take you out to some really nice diving for a pretty reasonable price. If you go during the summer, you might be the only customers so you can decide which sites to dive. If you arrange for a golf cart, Debbie or Ollie might be able to tell you where you can find good shore diving.

South Caicos does have shore diving. You can dive right from the hotel if they still use the place. I did a little. But again, if you go all the way to South Caicos, you might as well use the dive operator. The diving there is very good. You go there for the walls and that means using a boat.

Salt Cay has good walls. Salt Cay is a very interesting place. It has a friendly resident community of about 70 people. When I was there, I met most of the people. It is quite a bit of fun. I am told that South Caicos' walls are some of the best in the world. South Caicos is not really a resort area (that is putting it mildly) so it is nothing but diving.

For more developed places, I think you might want to look into Provo or Grand Turk.

Another place you may consider is going to Roatan. There are several great places to stay and the diving doesn't have to be deep at all. You can get some really good deals going there also. I would look at CoCoView or one we have booked for September called the "Reef House Resort".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom