Turks and Car Rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobalt

Registered
Reaction score
Heading down there this month and I was wondering if i needed to get a rental car or places on the island are easy to get to?

when you say Turks, which island do you mean? Are you actually talking about Grand Turk, Provo, or ...?

If on Provo I'd say it depends who you are staying or diving with. Chances are your dive op is picking you up? A car is still nice for going to restaurants and stuff as places are pretty spread out. If you're near Turtle Cove there's enough places to walk to that you might not use a car so much. As far as touring the island there's not a great deal to see.

I rented a car on Provo. Too restricting without one. On Grand Turk, the place we stayed at provided a truck. Gotta have wheels.

Last year we rented a scooter for the week to get to the outter parts of Provo. It was fun but the roads are ROUGH. We're going down again in 2 weeks and might just get a jeep for the days we aren't on the boat. Otherwise just hoof it everywhere (we're NYers, we walk everywhere anyway)

You should definitely consider a car at least for a couple of days. Provo is spread out and not particularly pedestrian friendly.

Plus, once you discover Bugaloo's, there's no other way to get there.

It sure would be nice from those with experience to know who you rented from and how the experience was.

Me and other members of my group rented jeeps from a place in Turtle Bay. They drive on the left and, although nobody but the cops will tell you this, seat belts are mandatory.

I have rented from Avis right at the airport and had a good experience. I have also rented from several of the on island rental places. They will come to your hotel and drop off the car which is rather nice if you don't know your way around the island just yet.

I had a good experience with Hertz on Provo. But, as with everywhere in the Carribean, don't expect first rate, brand new cars. Most have high milage and seen better days. With the beaten up roads and constant exposure to salty air, a bumpy ride and corroded exterior is more the norm than the exception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom