Turks & Caicos (Provo) -- when to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of planning a trip to T&C during the next 12 months -- first trip there.

Looking for tips about the time of year -- we were thinking sometime between Thanksgiving & X-mas.

Any thoughts on this time period -- diving conditions, etc.?

Caicos Adventures sounds like the way to go...I assume they operate during this time of year.

Thanks.

-Chris

large_diver:
Thinking of planning a trip to T&C during the next 12 months -- first trip there.

Looking for tips about the time of year -- we were thinking sometime between Thanksgiving & X-mas.

Any thoughts on this time period -- diving conditions, etc.?

Caicos Adventures sounds like the way to go...I assume they operate during this time of year.

Thanks.

-Chris

The temperature and water temperature is pretty static years round. The vis maxes out in late spring early summer. Whales show up late Feb to mid-March. The period you indicate is low season for most of the resorts right up to the week before Christmas. You may want consider renting a house as its a great way to buy some privacy. Where were you thinking of staying?

Caicos Adventures is a year round op

Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I enjoyed your recent report about diving with Fifi -- I've heard so many good reports about his dive op.

Not sure about where to stay yet. Ocean Club would be one option. I would be traveling with my wife who is not a diver (snorkeling only) for our 15th anniversary. ideally we'd be looking for something on the beach where she could enjoy herself in the mornings while I go diving -- having never been there before, I assumed a hotel on Grace Bay would be the way to go.

I would be willing to spend at least a moderate amount on lodging to make sure my wife is comfortable -- privacy, quiet and a relaxed atmosphere would be what we are after...but close to nice beaches, restaurants, etc.

Anyway -- any recommendations appreciated!

-Chris

Diving with Fifi is great. I've also had really good experiences with Turtle Divers. We have stayed at Ocean Club but now stay at Turtle cove. The walk to Smith's reef for snorkeling or if you have a car, shore diving when the tide comes in is worth the walk. The resturants/bar around the cove are pretty good also.

What is your budget? The prices for lodging on Providenciales range from affordable to the real of the rich and famous.

We really liked Turks and Caicos Club. Pricey, but it's small so there's a more "exclusive" feel. The restaurant was the best which is saying a lot because there are so many really good restaurants on Provo.

Fifi is great. But, bring some CDs to play on the boat or you'll be listening to Jimmy Buffet the whole time :).

Tim -- budget -- I guess I would be willing to spend up to $300 a night or so if the accommodations are worthwhile.

I guess suffering through a two tank boat trip listening to Jimmy Buffet is a small price to pay for the amazing T&C diving ;-)

I highly recommend a rental villa. You might spend a little more than you have budgeted but it is worth it IMHO for the privacy. Do a web search for "rental villas providenciales" and see what you come up with. The alternative is to spend less and go someplace like Beaches, Allegro or Comfort Suites. Check out the specials at Travelzoo.com if you really want to save some bucks. Let me know if I can help.

Tim Ingersoll:
I highly recommend a rental villa. You might spend a little more than you have budgeted but it is worth it IMHO for the privacy. Do a web search for "rental villas providenciales" and see what you come up with. The alternative is to spend less and go someplace like Beaches, Allegro or Comfort Suites. Check out the specials at Travelzoo.com if you really want to save some bucks. Let me know if I can help.

Not sure if we will be staying for an entire week..and it would appear that villas rent by the week.

Definitely not into an all-inclusive place like Beaches or Allegro. I guess we would be targeting places like Ocean Club/OC West, The Sands, Turks & Caicos Club, Royal West Indies Resort, etc. Any thoughts on these would be great

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom