tusa Xpert Zooms-REGULAR OR STIFF??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexoki

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm buying a pair of Xpert Zoom fins but need advice regarding the flex- should I go with the regular flex or the stiffer flex. I currently dive in warm tropical waters, occasionally encountering some currents but I will be diving colder waters also, hence more weight.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have the black zooms (stiff). They work great for me.

I made an ill advised free descent to 90 ft a couple weeks ago into a ~ 1 knot current and made it to the wreck. I had to kick a bit to get there, but I made it. 2 others on the charter - one with force fins the other with cheap $4!T fins never made it to the wreck and had to be rescued by the DM with a kick board.

alexoki:
Hi there,

I'm buying a pair of Xpert Zoom fins but need advice regarding the flex- should I go with the regular flex or the stiffer flex. I currently dive in warm tropical waters, occasionally encountering some currents but I will be diving colder waters also, hence more weight.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have the softer ones and if I were to do it again I would have purchased the stiffer fins. Since I only really use them with a wet suit, it has been a while since they have seen any use.

I use the all-black stiffer Tusa Xpert fins. I really like mine. I've never tried any of the other "looser" Xpert models (all the other colored ones), but I personally prefer a stiffer fin.

My wife prefers a looser, more flexible fin because her ankles have a tendency to get sore.

The split fins seem to have become a bit of a controversial subject. Some say that the split in the fin has no effect on propulsion. I've never done any side-by-side comparing, so I don't have my own opinion on the topic.

I do know that the stiffer black Tusa Xpert fin has worked very well for me in cold and warm-water destinations.

I was sceptical of the split fins when the LDS tried to push me towards them, but now that I have done some comparison with blades, I can at least say I like the stiff zooms better than standard aqualung blades. I need to find some way to color my fins something other than boring black tho.

Just to update you I got the regular flex fins from my local dive shop. The owner said that he has used both and can tell no real difference between the reg and stiffer flex.
Great fins but they do take some getting used to as it feels like you are not wearing any fins at all. They also require a shorter, rythmic flutter kick to get maximum output.

I have a pair of blue Zooms
Hate them and never dive with them

want to buy them ??????

Dive Safe

Mark s

PS I use master frogs and jet fins

HAVE the Black Tusa zoom fins and they are the best!!! Turtle and jet fins are horroble. Nothing good about them. Zooms are clevarly made and are assome. Bad in currents? I don't think so!!! :wink: :wink:

Personally, i cant stand them. Just dont hold up to stiff currents like my Mares Avantis.

but each his or her own.
rich

I have the black Xperts and my son has the softer version. I can most definitely tell a difference in stiffness. With the softer version you can barely tell you even have fins on. More resistance with the black but you are able to generate a little more power with them. The softer seems to work well for the weaker kicking power.

Back
Top Bottom