TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - April 14-21, 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Eclipse, Chamber Day, Seestar S50, & more
(please scroll down for details)
mail
We came, we saw, we eclipsed . . .

TOTALLY WOW - It's not diving but it was certainly magnificent and that's the total eclipse that occurred last Monday. Even in L.A., it was 57% so hopefully some of you got to see that. I was in Dallas and - despite a forecast of partly cloudy - we got very lucky (as you'll see in the videos) and got just enough clearing as totality was happening to have a clear view of this fabulous celestial event. Whew!!! Luck really does play into this a lot of times. And since at the end of every dive trip I write a report and post pix, I've done the same here. In addition, I've got two videos, one which is a speeded up time-lapse of totality, and the other is a real-time view of totality (shot with a clamped-down GoPro) with stills of what was happening cut in. Here are the links. Enjoy!!

CHAMBER DAY IS APPROACHING - May 1 is the date and while we've got the Reef Seekers table full, we've still got plenty of room for you at the virtual table (which gets you a t-shirt, a link to the live stream, and a shot at the Grand Prize of a week of diving in the Philippines with Atlantis resorts), there's room on the Flying Dutchman, and we can always use a donation through the Chamber Challenge. the website is www.chamberday.org and we'd love to hear from YOU.

SEESTAR S50 - If you're into star-gazing or celestial things, I can highly recommend the wonderful Seestar S50, which is what I used in Dallas (as well as for the shot at the top of this page). There's more info about it in the trip report if you're interested.

MAILING THIS WEEK - If you've signed up for any of the Chamber Day activities that require a ticket, we've started mailing those out and you should have yours by the end of the week.

JUST WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS - Are you in the market for a new car? How about a car that you can drive underwater? (This is NOT a late April Fools joke.) Tabby Stone sent us a link to the sQuba, an electric vehicle that you can drive on and and underwater. (The cynic in me says that that makes it perfect for ruining visibility or crushing corals.) But my favorite part was this from the promotional text: "We know the car sounds really unsafe, but the reality is completely opposite. It has an open top so that people can easily get out in case of an emergency." Now the big question is if you will need both a driver's license AND a scuba cert card to drive it. Find out more - or simply get a good chuckle - at this link: BE THE FIRST TO DRIVE UNDERWATER.

That'll do it for now. Have a great week, support our Chamber, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom