TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - Mar. 31 - Apr. 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A Whale, a Drone, an Eclipse, & more
(please scroll down for details)
Hope you had a lovely Easter . . .

SHORT AND SWEET - This is going to be a relatively abbreviated TWARS since the newsletter is due out tomorrow and I still need to be working on that. We all know that brevity isn't my strong suit but you get the idea.

RARE WHALE SPOTTED - The headline is "Gray Whale Spotted Off of Nantucket." You might wonder what all the fuss is about since we see grays all the time. Well, the big deal is that Atlantic Gray Whales were thought to be extinct for some time now so this really IS a big deal. Also makes you wonder where this one has been hiding and whether there are more. You can read more about it here: ATLANTIC GRAY WHALE SPOTTED.

EXPLORING THE OCEAN - It's tough to do and the estimate is that maybe we've seen 20% of it. But an Australian company is trying to change that by creating a small underwater drone, capable of going really deep and staying down very long. Read more about it here: UNDERWATER DRONE.

APRIL 8th ECLIPSE - As many of you know, I like to chase total solar eclipses and am very excited about the one coming up on April 8. I will be in Dallas for it and hope to be able to share some pix. Unfortunately, despite what the historical weather trends say (which were very favorable for Dallas), the actual forecast isn't looking too promising. So we shall see (or not see, as might be the case). But our repair guru Robert Stark turned me on to a really great "intelligent telescope" with a camera built in called Seestar S50 which has specific solar and lunar modes built into it. I got one and will take it with me. The pix are (IMHO) fantastic. And it's relatively cheap at $499 which includes the camera, a tripod, solar filter, app, and a carrying case. The whole things stand under 2 feet tall and looks like this:​
mail
So hopefully I'll be able to use that and share some of those shots with you. But to give you an idea of how wonderful the images are, here are two sun shots I took last week (before the rain). The one on the left is with my good Nikon D610 and a 300mm lens, cropped a bit and enlarged. The shot on the right is from the Seestar S50, straight from the app (which may include some processing that I'm not aware of). Note the sunspots. Night and day:​
mail
Off to work on the newsletter. So that'll do it for now. Have a great week, please support our Chamber, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom