TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - November 19-26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
LIVE FROM THE MALDIVES!!!
(please scroll down for details)
I lost track of what day it was . . .

OTHER SIDE OF THE DATELINE - Hazards of international travel. (And certainly a First World problem.) It's a long ride to get here - 16 hours LAX to Singapore, short layover, then 5 hours Singapore ot the Maldives - but we all made it safe and sound. We did an overnight at Hotel78 - which we really like and recommend highly if you're in this area of the world - and then got on the might Manthiri, where we'll be for the next nine days. We've already done a day and a half of diving and we're having a blast. Good friends on the boat, we're eating waaaay too much of the excellent food, and have had some great dives.​
FAB DIVE YESTERDAY AT THE PENINSULA - We had a really great dive yesterday at a spot called The Peninsula. It's very similar to Blue Corner in Palau in that you're looking over the edge of a wall and, as long as the current is running, there are great things going by. We had some sharks, a bunch of Black Snappers, and a few Spadefish, but the real highlight was an enormous Napoleon Wrasse who was literally hanging off my shoulder for a while - no more than a foot or so away from me - just chillin' in the current. Really nice. (Ironically, we dove it again this morning and there was NO current which made for a very different dive. Still interesting though.

BANANA REEF - We also had a really nice dive at a spot near Male called Banana Reef (because of the shape of it) where there was an enormous and seemingly endless school yellow snappers. I was also able to do a short video of that dive which you can watch here:

POSTING ON DAILY UPDATES ON FACEBOOK - I'm able to sporadically post things on FaceBook so if you have access to that, you can follow some of our daily activities there. I had hoped to upload a few images here but Constant Contact isn't letting me upload anything. But suffice it to say things are going well so far with minimal problems.

QUICK CAR UPDATE - The short version is that my insurance company has decided my car is totalled. But they've given me a very fair settlement so I guess I'm car-shopping when I get home. I've been thinking about getting a new car anyhow - looking for a hybrid and leaning towards a Kia Sportage - but this simply accelerates the timeline. (If anyone's got a Sportage hybrid, let me know what you think.)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING - We'll celebrate it here in the Maldives and hope you have a happy and safe one wherever you are.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

Back
Top Bottom