Twelve Pound Single Tank Adaptor!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some divers simply have an aversion to using a weight belt or harness and prefer to have weight all on the rig. Being in the 20's and considerably more is not uncommon for dry diving with a lofty garment or neoprene suit. We won't even get into steel vs. aluminum cylinders.

Personally I would only put the weight required to correct trim on the rig.

Pete

dont forget the difference in salt water and fresh water......about 8 lbs..... and the difference in heavier under garments

I use the weighted STA to keep the weight off my hips as I just cant carry it all there and need it distributed evenly up my back for my trim

Last time I went out with my drysuit in ocean water, I used 34 pounds of weight. I might have been just a tad heavy, but even so, that still leaves 30, 32 pounds.

Hey Reg, I could use that STA! With my winter garments and an AL 80 I need 36lb's to stay down. Even with a 6lb backplate and 12lb STA I could still use 18 lb's ditchable.

Ok, I guess I just dive a little lighter than some.

I don't dive AL80s in Ontario, so I guess that's some of the difference. But with my old (soft) BP+wing, I wore 12-16 pounds when diving a steel 95 with dry suit, two layers of underwear, and a 4th Element Arctic top. I figured that as a fairly new diver that I was probably over-weighting and that I should work on getting rid of some of the weight, not adding to it...(edited)

steel 95 is about -3 lb when empty, Al 80 is abt +4.5 when empty. so if you were in an AL80, adding almost 8 lb more, you would need 20 - 24 lb, so its not unreasonable for the original owner to use that much weight, especially if he was using a weezle undergarment or dui 400 thinsulate.

which is why you go with the steel 95. :wink:

i use 30lbs on my single rig; 18 on the plate (inc SS plate) and 12 on a belt... this is with a 100cft steel tank.
You need what you need. Some people like ditchable weight, some don't. I have ditchable with a singles rig and non ditchable with twins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom