Two die trapped in wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473915&in_page_id=1770

Two divers exploring a sunken warship paid with their lives when they ran out of air before they could find their way out.
Kaye Moss, 43, and David White, 42, are thought to have become trapped in the wreckage of HMS Scylla.
Their bodies were found in the depths of the ship, 70ft beneath the waves, after the alarm was raised when they failed to return.
The friends, both experienced divers, set off on their expedition in Whitsand Bay, Cornwall, last Thursday.
Coastguards are thought to have taken five hours to find their bodies.
It is the second tragedy at the ship, which has attracted thousands of divers since it was sunk to create Britain's first artificial reef three years ago. Last year a 40-year-old diver died after getting into difficulties while exploring the ship.

Mrs Moss, a mother of two, had a great love for diving and hoped to visit every major dive site in the world, her husband said last night.
Trevor Moss, a detective constable with Gloucestershire Police, said she was equally devoted to her job as a senior primary school teacher.
"As a family we've been on diving holidays to Egypt. We've dived in lots of different places while visiting Kaye's dad in Portugal and Kaye and I have been away on diving holidays together," he said.
"She absolutely loved it. All of our family holiday plans had to revolve around diving.
"She wanted to dive in places like the Maldives and Micronesia. She wanted to go to every dive site in the world."
Mrs Moss, of Cam in Gloucestershire, was co-ordinator for science, English and music at Berkeley Primary School.
"Teaching was her life. People said she should go for headships, but there was never a thought that she would leave Berkeley," Mr Moss said.
"She always wanted to stand in front of a class and teach children."
Mrs Moss's funeral will be held at St Mary's parish church in Berkeley later this month.
Mr White, from Rodborough, near Stroud, was managing director of Astec Telecom, a corporate voicemail and call-minder business which has contracts with the NHS and the finance industry.
He leaves a wife of nearly 20 years, Louise, and children, Amy 17, Julian,16, and Grace, nine.
A member of the British Sub Aqua Club, he qualified as a dive leader in 2004 and completed more than 200 dives across the world.

His brother Simon said: "Dave was due to be my best man at the end of the month when I marry my fiancee.
"Everyone who met my brother liked him.
"He had lots of friends and was very generous with his time and support. He always had a positive outlook."
The Scylla was sent to the seabed three years ago by Devon schoolboy Daniel Green who joined environmentalist David Bellamy in pushing the plunger that sunk the ship.
The pair set off the charges that sank the decommissioned Royal Navy warship half a mile offshore.
A spokesman for the National Marine Aquarium, which owns the wreck, said it was safe but warned divers to take care.

Azza:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473915&in_page_id=1770

Two divers exploring a sunken warship paid with their lives when they ran out of air before they could find their way out.
Kaye Moss, 43, and David White, 42, are thought to have become trapped in the wreckage of HMS Scylla.
Their bodies were found in the depths of the ship, 70ft beneath the waves, after the alarm was raised when they failed to return.
The friends, both experienced divers, set off on their expedition in Whitsand Bay, Cornwall, last Thursday.
Coastguards are thought to have taken five hours to find their bodies.
It is the second tragedy at the ship, which has attracted thousands of divers since it was sunk to create Britain's first artificial reef three years ago. Last year a 40-year-old diver died after getting into difficulties while exploring the ship.

Mrs Moss, a mother of two, had a great love for diving and hoped to visit every major dive site in the world, her husband said last night.
Trevor Moss, a detective constable with Gloucestershire Police, said she was equally devoted to her job as a senior primary school teacher.
"As a family we've been on diving holidays to Egypt. We've dived in lots of different places while visiting Kaye's dad in Portugal and Kaye and I have been away on diving holidays together," he said.
"She absolutely loved it. All of our family holiday plans had to revolve around diving.
"She wanted to dive in places like the Maldives and Micronesia. She wanted to go to every dive site in the world."
Mrs Moss, of Cam in Gloucestershire, was co-ordinator for science, English and music at Berkeley Primary School.
"Teaching was her life. People said she should go for headships, but there was never a thought that she would leave Berkeley," Mr Moss said.
"She always wanted to stand in front of a class and teach children."
Mrs Moss's funeral will be held at St Mary's parish church in Berkeley later this month.
Mr White, from Rodborough, near Stroud, was managing director of Astec Telecom, a corporate voicemail and call-minder business which has contracts with the NHS and the finance industry.
He leaves a wife of nearly 20 years, Louise, and children, Amy 17, Julian,16, and Grace, nine.
A member of the British Sub Aqua Club, he qualified as a dive leader in 2004 and completed more than 200 dives across the world.

His brother Simon said: "Dave was due to be my best man at the end of the month when I marry my fiancee.
"Everyone who met my brother liked him.
"He had lots of friends and was very generous with his time and support. He always had a positive outlook."
The Scylla was sent to the seabed three years ago by Devon schoolboy Daniel Green who joined environmentalist David Bellamy in pushing the plunger that sunk the ship.
The pair set off the charges that sank the decommissioned Royal Navy warship half a mile offshore.
A spokesman for the National Marine Aquarium, which owns the wreck, said it was safe but warned divers to take care.

My heart goes out to the love ones!!!! Very sad.... but the did go doing what they loved!!

Prayers go out to the deceased and their families.

And from that thread:
ScubaFreak:
These divers were moderatley experienced, yet when found, their torches were still in their pockets and they were not equipped with reels.
There is something to learn here.

BTW, there is a condolences forum HERE for anyone who wished to give them.

This forum, as per the sticky:
Uncle Pug:
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sherrif's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(3) No trolling.
(4) No "condolences to the family" here

It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible. If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.

You know, I don't understand these incidents, like this one and the Spiegel Grove one.

When I took OW, they made it abundantly clear that entering an overhead -- ANY overhead of any kind -- was dangerous and required training we weren't getting. I kvetch about a lot of things from my OW class, but not being taught to stay out of the insides of things isn't one of my complaints.

Reading boards like this one, you cannot help but learn that people who go inside of things should have guidelines and adequate light.

How do people get themselves into situations where they decide to penetrate wrecks or enter caves without appropriate equipment and training? I don't get it.

TSandM:
You know, I don't understand these incidents, like this one and the Spiegel Grove one.

When I took OW, they made it abundantly clear that entering an overhead -- ANY overhead of any kind -- was dangerous and required training we weren't getting. I kvetch about a lot of things from my OW class, but not being taught to stay out of the insides of things isn't one of my complaints.

Reading boards like this one, you cannot help but learn that people who go inside of things should have guidelines and adequate light.

How do people get themselves into situations where they decide to penetrate wrecks or enter caves without appropriate equipment and training? I don't get it.
I guess its just too tempting to go there and they give in?

TSandM:
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Back
Top Bottom