Two divers make some bad decisions at Manatee Spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was climbing Mount Everest and ran into climbers with no tent or gloves. Do I order them to get off the montain? NO. To each his own...I'm no mountain police, and I'm sure as hell no scuba police. But that's just me.

If I was climbing Mount Everest and ran into climbers with no tent or gloves. Do I order them to get off the montain? NO. To each his own...I'm no mountain police, and I'm sure as hell no scuba police. But that's just me.

If it means Mt. Everest might be closed for all future climbing if those climbers get killed, you probably will order them off the mountain. If you're a qualified, equipped climber, chances are you'd want to climb it again some day and not be denied that chance because some unqualified, unequipped fruitcakes got themselves killed.

This is an older post but I came upon it as I am researching a dive my wife and I are taking in the next couple days. We are as Newbie (OW) as you can be since this will be our first dive without our instructor. We just so happen to be going to Catfish hole to do this dive. I by no means want to get into anything that will put my wife and I in danger.

Is this place marked clearly so that my wife and I can not enter this cave system on accident. We want to go there just to practice some of the skills such as Mask Clearing and Bouyancy control.

This is an older post but I came upon it as I am researching a dive my wife and I are taking in the next couple days. We are as Newbie (OW) as you can be since this will be our first dive without our instructor. We just so happen to be going to Catfish hole to do this dive. I by no means want to get into anything that will put my wife and I in danger.

Is this place marked clearly so that my wife and I can not enter this cave system on accident. We want to go there just to practice some of the skills such as Mask Clearing and Bouyancy control.

Look at it this way. If you look up and see rock you are way beyond your training. There is no way to tell you all the things that can happen that you are not ready for. Its always your choice, don't go into any overhead without the training.

If you stay in the main spring, you will have no problem identifying the cave system, the flow will blow you out. Plenty of ambient light to practice your skills. It is not a real big spring and you will probably get bored before you get low on air. On the other side(catfish Hotel), if you get to close to the cave entrance, you will feel it pulling you into the cave and you will have to kick out of it. The only light you get is your bubbles breaking the surface.

If you are going into Catfish Hotel, the cave entrances are to the left of the stairs as you face into the pond. Stay to the right, and you'll be fine.

[ot]lynne, is that a cupcake being assimilated?? love it!

[/ot]

Yes, this is my attempt at making a kinder, gentler (or at least sweeter) avatar . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom