U-701

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwright:
I dove the 701 a few years back and it was pretty much sanded in. Have they done something to improve it?
Yeah, well the Park Service still hasn't figured out how to keep all that sand out there in place. Then we had this big storm you may have heard about? Anyway, it took a lot of the sand from out there and left it in places like my living room. But, seriously, where it's at it could be swallowed by an underwater dune tomorrow and completely exposed next week.

dwright:
Folks have been "diving" this wreck for many years how is it a virgin wreck?

I know it's been dove a few times by a few people. If you've dove it your in a small group. What I actually said was "almost virgin" and in that I meant that she hasn't been raped like the 85 and 352. It is our firm intention to keep it that way. So no one should plan on showing up with crowbars, hacksaws, hammers, chisels, etc. They won't be going on our boat!

obxdivemaster:
Anyone interested in diving the U-701? She lies in 115' of water north of Diamond Shoals. I was just there.

Two outfits will be running charters starting late spring 2004:

Outer Banks Diving: the Bayou Runner & the Dolphin
www.outerbanksdiving.com

Nags Head Diving: the Poppy
http://www.theoutdoorsinn.com/dive_charters.htm

The u-701 is rarely dived because of where it sits. The currents run strong and you need to find the perfect conditions in order to dive the wreck. Which is usually rare. I always ask capt. johnny and milton of obx diving to go to the wreck. They have always replied that the conditions are not right. Based on this, one would have to be very experienced in order to dive this wreck. Also you would have to be in the hatteras area for a very long time in order to find the right weather conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom