U.S. Divers Standard Aquamatic regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb4tjh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I still have my original US Divers Standard Aquamatic regulator my dad bouight for me in 1959. It's in good shape, but I was wondering if anyone can rebuild it so it could still be used, or is it better left as is and kept as a momento?

wb4tjh,

First, your Aquamatic is a unique regulator, and if the rubber is okay, it probably doesn't need much unless there is corrosion. Saying that, I would not dive this regulator in other than very controlled conditions, such as a pool. It is a hard-breathing regulator, with small exhaust ports. Also, the second stage diaphragm is held onto the regulator simply by tape and a rubber piece over it--not a really good idea. I have one, and will keep it because it was really the first North American single hose regulator. But I won't dive it in open water.

SeaRat

wb4tjh,

First, your Aquamatic is a unique regulator, and if the rubber is okay, it probably doesn't need much unless there is corrosion. Saying that, I would not dive this regulator in other than very controlled conditions, such as a pool. It is a hard-breathing regulator, with small exhaust ports. Also, the second stage diaphragm is held onto the regulator simply by tape and a rubber piece over it--not a really good idea. I have one, and will keep it because it was really the first North American single hose regulator. But I won't dive it in open water.

SeaRat

Hi John, I thought I saw a this post by you a while back. I just finished a total rebuild of my Aquamatic and it works! On land, I'll try it in the pool tomorrow and see what happens. I might even start a thread about it. BTW what kind oftape did they use? Mine didn't have any, and I thought that using the rubber ring only is a little sketchy.

It looked like simply electrical tape. That, I think, is what I used to put it back together.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom