U/W MP3 player - closeout deal from iRiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's one double a for the player and a 9 volt for the amplifier....no idea how long it lasts yet.

You might be able to copy them to a cd and then rip the music from teh cd to windows media player to this thing. I just ordered one too! :D :D
ArcticDiver:
OK, looks Good.

I actually made an Impulse Purchase! But now one problem?

How do I get my iTunes music to load into the thing?

Just hooking up to the PC with iTunes it refuses to load on anything but an iPod. Secret handshake or something?

ArcticDiver:
How do I get my iTunes music to load into the thing?

Just hooking up to the PC with iTunes it refuses to load on anything but an iPod. Secret handshake or something?

iTunes is an Apple thing, doesn't play well with others.

If you are talking about music bought via iTunes, you can do unlimited burns to music CDs from your iTunes and then rip back to MP3, WMA, etc. (There are also programs like hymn that "unlock" the proprietary AAC files, but they may not be legal where you live.) For music not subject to rights management, just use a different program (though you can use iTunes to convert to .MP3 from AAC, etc.)

Anapod (redchairsoftware.com) is a good program if you want to interface to your iPod outside of iTunes. Red Chair has a number of programs that support different players (including Riorad Explorer that even talks to my ancient Rio S10 MP3 player) that might also be worth investigating.

John

John_B:

If you are talking about music bought via iTunes, you can do unlimited burns to music CDs from your iTunes and then rip back to MP3, WMA, etc. (There are also programs like hymn that "unlock" the proprietary AAC files, but they may not be legal where you live.) For music not subject to rights management, just use a different program (though you can use iTunes to convert to .MP3 from AAC, etc.)

Anapod (redchairsoftware.com) is a good program if you want to interface to your iPod outside of iTunes. Red Chair has a number of programs that support different players (including Riorad Explorer that even talks to my ancient Rio S10 MP3 player) that might also be worth investigating.

John

All the music in iTunes right now is imported from CDs I own. It is about 7G worth. It is all imported at iTunes default setting which, I have discovered, isn't compatible with much of anything. Plus, it is a One Way Street. From iTunes to iPod only. So, when I got the new computers I got a big Wake Up Call.

Bought XPlay to get the music off my iPod into the new computer. So, at least that was done. But, as you have confirmed, iTunes doesn't talk to anything but an iPod. It says it will only convert from AAC to MP3 when burning a CD. That sort of defeats the purpose of the iPod, to eliminate carrying so many CDs.

If iTunes would talk to something else I'd be willing to re-import the CDs in another format, like MP3. Maybe, rather than just messing around I'd be better off just re-importing into another program, like Windows Media? Then I could put it anywhere I like including on a SD card for my new iPaq.

Opinions?

ArcticDiver:
A

Bought XPlay to get the music off my iPod into the new computer. So, at least that was done. But, as you have confirmed, iTunes doesn't talk to anything but an iPod. It says it will only convert from AAC to MP3 when burning a CD. That sort of defeats the purpose of the iPod, to eliminate carrying so many CDs.

If iTunes would talk to something else I'd be willing to re-import the CDs in another format, like MP3. Maybe, rather than just messing around I'd be better off just re-importing into another program, like Windows Media? Then I could put it anywhere I like including on a SD card for my new iPaq.

Opinions?

insteresting issue : i did a little googling and came up with this hit.....

http://www.askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

I just bought one of these, not sure how much use it will get but for $40.00 It can get some dust on it.

John_B:

John

I don't like the music download services because of the restrictions they put on the usage of the song you purchased. There are some free ripping software available from download dot com. The two I have used are Free CD Ripper and FairStars CD Ripper. Both work nicely to convert my CDs to mp3, OGG, WMA and back to WAV formats.

Enjoy

Flea Dog

stu_in_fl:
insteresting issue : i did a little googling and came up with this hit.....

http://www.askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

Isn't it amazing what a person can find on Google if they have some idea of what they are looking for in the first place?

One of the programs won't work because I went to iTunes 6. The other might if it will, in turn, transfer music in additiion to converting it. I found a couple other conversion programs. But they would only do the conversion; not allow me to manage the music outside of iTunes.

Of course I'm in a different postion, legally and mechanically, than the person who has bought downloaded music. Thankfully, by the time the urge to do that hit me I was much better educated.

ArcticDiver:

Opinions?

Here's what I have. One set of subdirectories for the .AAC files I've bought off iTunes. A different set of subdirectories for all the .MP3 files I've ripped from my CD collection (mostly also via iTunes, it also does .MP3 files for CD ripping).

Conceivably, it wouldn't be hard to have a third set with .MP3 files that were protected .AAC iTunes files, that were later burned to CDR/CDRW and ripped back to unprotected .MP3 files playable on any player. A lot of work, IMO, when I mostly use either iTunes or my new Nano when I listen to music. Or a few disposable compilation CDs for the car. I might rethink that if I just bought a new iPaq and had a library of iTunes music that I couldn't play on the new player. But not for the paltry 128MB my soon-to-arrive iRiver will hold.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom