U/W video equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the scuba board and I seek information from this group.

My goal: Is to shoot U/W movies with sound using the OTS comm systems for real time dialog during dives.

The problem: Limited access to all brands of underwater housings and solid information.

I am looking for some concrete info on a suitable marriage of OTS comm equipment and underwater video housings coupled with a DVD movie camera.

Any ideas??

Goodwilldiving:
Hi everyone,

I am new to the scuba board and I seek information from this group.

My goal: Is to shoot U/W movies with sound using the OTS comm systems for real time dialog during dives.

The problem: Limited access to all brands of underwater housings and solid information.

I am looking for some concrete info on a suitable marriage of OTS comm equipment and underwater video housings coupled with a DVD movie camera.

Any ideas??
Seems fairly straighforward, they do it on Deep Sea Detectives all the time.

The simplest way I can think of would be to add a waterproof audio-in jack to your housing and use the output from OTS's earphone connector as input to your camera's external mic/audio in jack.

I don't know of any housing that's made with an external audio input, but I'm sure it could be retrofitted to just about any of the better ones.

Or you could also buy an OTS surface station, record the audio topside and then add it in post-production.

Why a DVD camera? IMHO Mini-DV offers more flexibility, especially during later editing.

Interesting idea...

Steve

I agree with Steve. Currently Mini DV is still the format of choice.

The DVD cameras are not yet up to the same quality as some of the better Mini-DV cameras. Also it really is simple to create movies using either format. Assuming your PC has a DVD writer.

So for cost and quality reasons. Mini DV is still the best.

I have a 3CCD Panasonic camera. GS120B and it really is a bargain for the quality you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom