Uh... that way. No... that way. No. Uh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Custer is definately right, learn it on land first, with out cheating yourself and then take it to the water.

I've been unable to log on/search/read new messages/post under that name...have no idea why), a few more points. Make sure you have the compass either directly in front of you (to read through the side window) OR directly below your face (to read from the top)....I see a lot of divers hold it out about 1/2 way, which causes them to slightly tilt the compass to read it....and if you tilt it too much, the needle will "stick" and you're not getting an accurate reading.

A few people said to take a reading/bearing whatever on an object and go to that, repeat, etc. I agree, and here are 2 quick reasons why 1) you can look for interesting things...octopus, shrimp, whatever...along the way, instead of just the front of the compass and 2) it TENDS to negate the effect of a crossing current. For example, if you use a compass and go 180 degrees, but there's a current from right to left, your "true" bearing might end up at 200, 210 etc. If you aim at something that doesn't move with the current (a rock, tall coral mound, Jimmy Hoffa) you tend to go more closely to your true bearing.

Another tip is if you have a buddy or group...especially in so-so visibility & you're heading towards a small target (such as an anchor line.) I even do this with my customers sometime in the (as PADI would say) unlikely event that I have trouble hitting the descent line on post-typhoon diving in poor vis. In this case, I have the divers spread out a bit horizontally, with me in the middle, and the rest of the divers forming an underwater "wing" like a big manta....by having divers to the left & to the right of me as we head out towards the descent line, it helps you defeat the poor visibilty problem by having extra eyes on both sides.

Also, if you're heading for a boat and the visibility allows it, remember to look up once in a while...sometimes divers will miss the anchor line, but will swim directly UNDER the boat, but never think to look up, and end up burrowing into the beach instead.

Shoot an azimuth and pick a feature on that azimuth and then swim to that feature and re-shoot your azimuth and pick another feature so on and so on. This is the easiest way I've found to navigate above and below water.

If your in nil vis' and you have to keep your nose right in your compass then having a wrist mounted depth gauge, as mentioned, is extremely helpful.

You have to be careful navigating this way since most people will drift to the left or the right. If you start out on an azimuth and close your eyes for a few seconds you'll probably find out your drifting a little one way or the other.

Some of us drift a lot... When I first went through OW in 96' my instructor had us face him from a ways off, close our eyes and surface swim towards him until he grabbed us. I was kicking for a good 3 to 4 minutes when he finally touched me and pulled me up. I looked around and the rest of the class was off in the distances getting a good laugh. I was swimming in circles the whole time!

I've found that the frog kick is a good deal straighter of a kick than a flutter.

Back
Top Bottom