UK Light Cannon 100 for Video Lighting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSDT Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m looking for feedback from anyone using a UK Light Cannon 100 HID for video lighting. Also what system are you using to mount the Light Cannon to the housing?
Thanks, Mark

What housing? ULCS sells an adapter to use their arms with a Light Cannon. Look under Strobe and Video Light Adapters. Wooh..are they pricey though.

If you're handy, another option is Loc-Line tubing, it's the same stuff used by Gates/Nightrider and TopDawg.

Loc-line tubing is sold by Modular Hose for industrial applications. It's used by Sealife on their strobes. You can buy a starter tubing kit for about $10 - probably need two per light and with a little custom work could modify one of their Fixed Mounts to fit your Light Cannon. Look at a picture of a TopDawg housing, the piece above the handles is a fixed mount.

If your LC is too heavy and causes the Loc-Line to bend, try putting a piece of flexible thickwall plastic tubing inside it.

A buddy of mine uses two UK Light Canons...I don't think he is on the board, but you can see some of the videos he has shot using them on his website

A buddy of mine uses two UK Light Canons...I don't think he is on the board, but you can see some of the videos he has shot using them on his website

If you follow my link Peter was talking about his experience with them. I'm about to pony up and buy a 2nd Light Cannon even though my housing hasn't seen water deeper than my bathtub yet. It just seems like a good idea. Ultralight Makes the ball adapter for it, picking one up this week.

Billy

Thanks for the information; I will be mounting the Light Cannon on Ikelite 6038.22 housing. As for the web site with the videos created with the Light Cannon lighting, they are awesome. It looks like I'll be needing a second light to get the job done right...

Thanks Again

I’m looking for feedback from anyone using a UK Light Cannon 100 HID for video lighting. Also what system are you using to mount the Light Cannon to the housing?
Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark,
I use 2 light cannons (with supplied filters) as fill lights. The quality of light is very even and quite impressive. I run the discovery 10W amphibico light as my main light. I use an Amphibico housing with ultralight buoyancy arms and custom clamps for the UK's.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the information; I will be mounting the Light Cannon on Ikelite 6038.22 housing. As for the web site with the videos created with the Light Cannon lighting, they are awesome. It looks like I'll be needing a second light to get the job done right...

Thanks Again

Hey Mark I just got my 2nd Light Cannon (Thanks Steve!) and got 2 sets of double buoyancy control arms, an 8" and 12" for each LC100, from H2O Photo Pros. I'll let you know how I like em. I'll be trying them out without my camera Saturday and with my camera sometime next week in warmer clearer waters.

Billy

Back
Top Bottom