UK SL4 LED w/cree R2 and LEDs for halcyon scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim, did you have any heat problems with the P7 or SST-50 in the SL4?

I think its more of a Voltage problem all of the Modules are for 3.7 to 4.2v. I have had some of the R5s run just as hot. for me I liked the SST 50. My light got shipped accidently to someone that ordered a P7. They got a good deal the sst cost 3 time that of a P7. I have found some drivers for the P7 and sst50 but when you add 12 to 19 per drive to the cost of the LED it gets up there. I can see why Nailbender gets $108 for ther SST Modules. I had dove both the P7 and the SST 50 on the canada weekend and had no problems but I liked the SST 50 better. Have you tried to set one up.

I'd really consider it... I would really like to have an R5 in my SL4 to keep a tighter spot beam, since that is my crevice light. I would love to have a flood type light in my SL6. I dive waters that have pretty good visibility, and having a dependable and bright set up that could be used as a main light in those conditions, all in the small size of an SL6...that would be ideal for me.

My main concerns would be in regards to burn time and problems related to heat build up. If the SST-50 is stable in the SL6 without burn out issues related to heat, and would have a burn time equivalent to the R5 in the SL4, I think that would be a real winning combination, even at $65.

Do you have any more details on the SST-50? Or do you think I should just order a pair of R5's and call it a day? :idk:

Just a FYI I dove a new R5 from SolorForce that is 380 lumes it was awsome. I have then for $45 I bought 5. They are plenty bright for a main so is the other R5. I dove it next to a 3 LED shock wave in Cozumel and they were the same brightness.

Just ordered my SL4 from Jim Friday night and Sat it was in the mail! Awesome! I was going to order the SL4 with R5 but Jim talked me into the R2 since the primary use for this light will be for a day time crevice light in clear waters. Excited to see how it works out

Ooh those Solarforce R5's sound nice...count me in for 2, then! How long will they last in an SL4 and an SL6?

Hi, how do the R5 modules for the scout compare to the new Halcyon "HP" Scout?

Also, is there any difference between the Scout and the SL4 modules?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
Have you tried to set one up.

I installed the Cree R2 into my UK Q40 using aspheric lens and it was super bright. Sadly, I forgot to turn it off when I got out of the water and it burnt out either the driver, LED or the solder connecting the wires melted off.

I ordered a P7 and planning to put it in an existing UK C8 eLED (not plus). There are a a couple issues that I would have to tackle.

1) Voltage -- the P7 is rated 4.2V max (DX sku.11809). The base is pumping out ~5.3V with 4 AA batteries. I'll do a test later with 8 AA batteries. Do you think the P7 LED can handle 5.3V? I don't really want to change the driver in the UK C8 but I may need to. What driver are you using for your P7? Also, I'm using AA batteries in a C-sleeve.
2) The P7 runs hot so I'll need to figure out how to dissipate the heat.

I'll let you know in about a month when I get the P7.

I'm also looking for an aspheric lens to put inside an SL4. Have you found tried this setup before?

By the way, welcome back and how was your 800th dive?

Hi, how do the R5 modules for the scout compare to the new Halcyon "HP" Scout?

Also, is there any difference between the Scout and the SL4 modules?

Thanks,
Jim

I think the new scout HP is around the sames as the R2 but cost 3x as much. The R5 would be twice as bright.
Yes the mods are made different for the scout and the SL4

I think the new scout HP is around the sames as the R2 but cost 3x as much. The R5 would be twice as bright.
Yes the mods are made different for the scout and the SL4

Excellent, is there any advantage to the R2 over the R5 module?

Jim

Perfect - just shot you a paypal payment. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom