Unalaska Church of Scuba Pics - 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:clapping: thanks

im a closet deadliest catch fan so nice to see what Dutch Harbour is like.... which is ******* cold by the looks of it!

so all those boats up there? any wrecks you dive?

thansk

There are a few that sink in shallow water but even fewer are in places suitable for diving. There was a "new" werck found withing site of my house last year but it's just some old wreckage that you have to look for. "Alaska's oldest wreck" so it was called.I was just out playing with my BP/W I really need to get wet again soon.

Adak Pics:

My bastard dive buddies went on a 40 day or so Aleutian Islands NOAA research cruise this summer, and took a boatload of photos. I've been working on getting them up on our website, but I'm lazy. And still jealous.

Here's a tease though, just as thumbnails (click for full size) since we're getting a lil off topic now, heheh.

We're talking about putting together some creative charters to explore more of the Aleutians from Dutch Harbor this Summer. There's enough exploring and diving around here to keep a person busy for several lifetimes.

-B

so all those boats up there? any wrecks you dive?

I've seen video of a dive on a 60' or so wooden wreck that sits just outside of our Small Boat Harbor in water 45-60' deep. Close as it is to shore, its very difficult to get to without a boat as there isn't any nearby foot access and you'd have to swim through several busy navigational channels.

It's diveable though, and in great shape. On the list as soon as vessel traffic dies down in the area.

We also have the wreck of the SS Northwestern. She was a ship that was anchored here during WW2 to supply power to the airbase while the powerhouse was being constructed. During the Japanese attack on Dutch Harbor (June 3rd & 4th, 1942) she was bombed and damaged very heavily. She limped on for a couple days, continuing to supply power to the airbase, but eventually succumbed to the damage and was scuttled at the end of Captain's Bay.

You can see it on Google Earth. 53°49'49.81"N, 166°36'40.81"W will put you right in the center of the three pieces.

It's at the end of the bay and freshwater drainage is an issue. Quick boat ride from the small boat harbor, or a long walk / surface swim from shore.

My bastard dive buddies went on a 40 day or so Aleutian Islands NOAA research cruise this summer, and took a boatload of photos.
There's enough exploring and diving around here to keep a person busy for several lifetimes.

-B

Brandon-I know how you feel, I had a dive buddy when I lived up north that was an AB on the NOAA vessel R/V Alpha Helix based out of the Marine Science Center in Seward. He bragged about a cruise they took several years ago which included Kiska Harbor and talked about swimming over large brass portholes with glass intact that sloughed off some of the Japanese wrecks there...at least he talked about it enough to make me turn green with envy:shakehead:
If you guys get a trip out to Kiska that would be awesome-the Truk Lagoon of Alaska:D

Poog:coffee:

Flickr: Photos from poogweese2002

im a closet deadliest catch fan so nice to see what Dutch Harbour is like.... which is ******* cold by the looks of it!
Me too. I also enjoy the Ice Truckers. Have you seen the dives on that show?

My ship is going to be passing through Dutch Harbor some time in April and I'm always looking for good diving. Is there any services available? Do I need to haul my own tanks there? The pictures have my interest. Thanks.

southcentral pics as requested.....this is Whittier (smitty's cove) recently

Attachments

• snowy threesome small.jpg
    snowy threesome small.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 105
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom