Unconscious diver en route to chamber - Ship Rock, Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have very little information besides what could be heard over the marine radio as my dive group passed by.

Boat: Truth Aquatics Vision
Time: ~9:50am
Depth: Came up from 102', type of ascent unknown.
Condition: Diver has been retrieved by Baywatch, en route to the chamber at Two Harbors/Scripps. Vision stated over radio that diver was unconscious, and on emergency oxygen.

Update: 10:10am, Coast Guard helicopter en route to Two Harbors/Scripps.

Hope everything is ok.

That sucks. Keep us posted as further information comes out. Hope they'll be alright.

This is (according to the Truth website) a shared 3 day charter between Neptune Divers and Flatiron Divers. Hoping for the best.

Update: I biked into Two Harbors today and got a chance to ask some members of Baywatch about the incident. While the folks I spoke to weren't there, they could confirm that the diver did make it, and is recovering.

Yay! A powerful lesson learned I bet!

Very good news, thanks Togalive. This was a three day charter and I'm sure they were relieved to hear it as well.

Happy ending. Diver is doing great!
He was rescuing a new diver in an uncontrolled descent in 180 ft of water. During the ascent, he had a cardiac event and lost consciousness at the surface. CPR was performed immediately and he regained consciousness on the boat. He was transported to Two Harbors/Scripps and went into the chamber as a precaution. He was sent to a cardiac ICU for observation in Los Angeles. Everything checked out. The new diver is in perfect health as well.

Back
Top Bottom