under water housing parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi
anyone know where i can get a part #CY1-6397-000 "buckle" (it's the orange lock mechanism for a WP-DC6 housing for an A710is camera
tried emailing several companies and have had no luck so far. can be in canada or u.s.
thx
rick

i am not sure that anyone provides parts for "cheaper" housings. i am amazed you found a part #. i am curious, where did you get the part #?

my suggestions:
- buy a used replacement housing on ebay
- buy a less expensive used housing from ebay that has a similar latch and scavenge it
- repair the latch yourself

i have made several repairs / mods to polycarbon housings. one project included fixing the latch on a canon housing. some scrap plastic, crazy glue and several dremel tool sessions restored the latch pivot pin retainer. it has held for 5 years with no issues.

I am not familiar with the product, but prototypes are usually hand built and production parts are either cnc or molded. I have actually machined parts where they have not been available, but again, don't know what the part is. I also don't have to pay a shop to fabricate a part, and if you did, may cost less to buy a used housing as somebody suggested.

BTW, I don't recommend using crazy glue on a polycarbonate housing, find the proper cement, preferably a solvent cement, where the plastic is actually fused back together. Reason for not using super glue, once you use it, and if the bond fails, you will not be able to use a solvent cement. Super glue is the last resort.

Jim

i agree that using super glue is second choice.

a solvent glue like weldon 16 is a better choice, but it is not gap filling. my hand made parts did not fit perfectly and hence i needed something that would fill gaps and bond the small imperfections. i learned this the hard way.

for another project i ended up using an industrial adhesive E6000 (again not a solvent) that also provided gap filling properties required by my much less than perfect hand made parts. this was a rather large polycarb block that held 2 nikonos style bulkhead connectors that i glommed onto the top of an irregularly shaped P&S housing whose cold shoe i had ground away by hand to make room to mount the block.

it's ugly, but fully functional.

for prfectly machined properely fitting parts, then solvent is the way to go.

in case anyone is interested in the future......

Genuine Canon Replacement Parts from USCamera.com

gonna keep looking in case i can find a cheaper source. maybe one in canada. but at least i know i can get it.

btw giffenk i have a complete parts breakdown for my camera and the housing. that is where i got the #

honestly cannot remember. it is a pdf on my lap top. it may have been on a disc that came with the camera. but not sure. sorry. why ?? you need one for a different camera or housing ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom