Underlying Fears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like time stands still in low viz, in like less than a foot? I noticed on a dive were we had 100+ viz the time flew by. Then back at the local mud puddle 10 mins seems like an hour.
Its pretty trippy how our minds speeds things up when theres so much to see!
Agree. If I can see enough to find some good shells time really flies. I'm not Klaustraphobic (we had a friend named Klaus....) like my wife and will dive in anything better than 0 viz to get a dive or two in. Only thing as I mentioned is it being a bit eerie in that I can't see what may eat me--like that rogue shark or other biggies.

Only thing as I mentioned is it being a bit eerie in that I can't see what may eat me--like that rogue shark or other biggies.

Seeing what is about to eat you is way over rated. I'd p**s my pants but lucky for me I'm in a wet suit and do it anyway, so people just think I'm fearless, and encontenent.

Bob

Yeah, but at least you may be able to get away.

When the viz is 0 I just start doing skills, laying line, lost line drills, etc. There is plenty to do when there is nothing to see. Considering I'm in fresh water most of the time - the only thing bigger then me is another diver. Which reminds me - running into another diver you did not expect in 0 viz is quite entertaining.

ha,I personally don't like low vis. I would guess I've got only 5-6 dives in low vis, but one among them is a doosey. I dove Bonneville Seabase (look it up) out on the west side of the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Three large artificial ponds carved out of the salt flats where there used to be springs filling them (still are I guess, just not strong flow). But the vis was hilarious, my son and daughter were with me, and I'm wearing flourescent blue for my wetsuit. Couldn't see past your hand if that most of the time, Lost each other multiple times, ended up at opposite ends of the pond, followed each other thru the bottom grass, oh it was a riot, but I hated it at the same time.

Compare that to the guy we met at Sipadan, he was on the boat with my wife. They watched as we rode off on a seperate boat, pulled out past the reef into the big blue, and dropped in from there for my Tec40 dive. The guy told my wife I was a loon, and he hated the 'big blue' and all that vis, because 30m vis means you can see 30m DOWN too, and when you can't see anything DOWN there, it was unnerving to him. To me, it was awesome. We dropped down to 40m per the dive plan, leveled off, and swam toward the reef wall. We swam exactly 5 minutes towards that wall the entire time not able to see anything below us, or around us. Funny how 30m+ of vis can be come 'ZERO vis' in a different way. No points of reference, just you and your dive buddy/instructor. And after 5 minutes of that, you are really glad when you see the wall appear in the distance.

But given the seabase or Sipadan and the big blue sea? to be honest, hard to say. I was having fun in both, just a different kind of fun. Now, I wouldn't do either dive alone. So that's something to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom