Underment Material? (Capilene,Polartec/Thinsulate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replying to Cheezwhiz's Question: "But I guess it would also depend on the thickness of each. Yes / no? Boydski - I notice you say the Thinsulate is your choice for colder water, but it also seems to be thicker. How much of a difference do you think this makes? "

I think the material thickness of the 300g Polartec and the 400g Thinsulate are about the same, but the Thinsulate is much heavier and denser. It's also far less comfortable to wear than the polartech. I actually prefer the polartech as it is stretchy and comfortable. However, some of our winter diving is with snow on the ground and air temperatures near freezing, and the thinsulate is definitely warmer. I especially apreciate the extra warmth when I'm taking pictures, which tends to involve less movement, so I get colder, faster.

Argon in your drysuit will also warm you up in a hurry, but it's not readily available.

Kate, last weekend I showed water temps between 49 and 48 degrees in the Tacoma Narrows.

Boydski

There are volumes that can be written on the underwear topic; I'll just glaze over the highlights.
Capilene is a brand name, the stuff is made out of polyester, it's sorta "micro-fuzzy" giving it outstanding wicking properties, even better than woven polypro (polyproplyene, same stuff milk jugs are made out of).
It makes a great base layer under heavier stuff with lesser wicking properties. Kind of pricey tho.
Polartec is fluffy polypro. Makes a good base layer or single layer in warmer water.
Arctic weight military polypro underwear is a combination of fluffy lining under woven, probably gives the most bang for the buck. Good for base layer or single in warm water.
Thinsulate is a sponge like material, comes in different grades. Jacket variety isn't as good as shoe variety. Hard to purge if using argon. Use as outer layer, always try to use at least a thin woven polypro (or Capilene) as a base layer underneath.
You can make up a good serviceable set of undies for well under a hundred bucks if you shop smartly, hitting sales & surplus joints. Try to get the tall sizes so they give good lower back coverage.
A high grade 400gm Thinsulate will cook you in warmer (+50°f) water. You may sweat so much that it'll look like your suit was leaking.
You don't want to use anything with cotton next to the skin, but contrary to popular opinion, you CAN sometimes get away with natural fibers like cotton as an outer layer. A 50/50 cotton-polyester set of sweats will work OK in warm water provided a wicking layer is used underneath.

I have been playing around with this issue for the last couple of years. The recipe for success is as follows:
1. Alaska 35-50 degree h2o - expedition capilene top and bottom, Thorlo expedition socks, and Thinsulate undergarment from USIa (?)
2. Cave diving in Florida 69-72 degree h2o, Capilene expedition top and bottom, unless bottom time exceeds 3 hours, then thinsulate.
Anything elseis just thinsulate with a thin layer of cheap polypropylene and GOOD socks.

Capilene is the nectar of the gods for warmth!!

Originally posted by Bob3
There are volumes that can be written on the underwear topic; I'll just glaze over the highlights.

Santa brought me some silk undies (no, nothing frilly). How does silk compare to capilene/polypro?

-K

I just got a set of weezle extremes and am so happy with them. Much more warmth than the DUI thinsulate 400 that I was wearing.
Check out their website, it has all kinds of useful info - just follow the arrows at the bottom...

I like the Weezle undergarments for the cold New England waters. They provide a great deal of freedom of movement, warmth and they keep you dry. You can get information about this undergarment at Weezle Diving Services LTD At the following link http://www.weezle.demon.co.uk/wds/home.html

Dive Safe …………………………Arduous

Polartech is made by Malden Mills, check the web site. It's really pretty cheap to buy off the internet. One of the factory outlets is in Seattle, the home of cold water. I had my wife make me a two piece suit. Farmer john type pants and a pull over top. Got about $35 into them. Zippers every place I want them. Patagonia undies for real cold. Guess I forgot to mention the cost of the sewing machines, but maybe you can find someone to make them up for. Make a pattern , make all you want , color cordinate ,,,,,,,,,

good luck , don O

I also love my Weezle Extreme. I plan to get a polypro body sock for those really cold or long dives to wear under the Weezle, but the Weezle is really fine with a pair of cotton shorts and a T-shirt under.

One thing, the Weezle will really wick the persperation from your skin and you'll find it between the outer shell of the Weezle and the inside of the dry suit.

As for PUG's comment, no - haven't found dumping air at 15' a problem. Shouldn't proper weighting handle that? It seems to work for me. One of the "features" of the Weezle is that it is NOT quilted, thus the air can move freely through the suit.

Oh, and check out http://www.cdsportswear.com/sharkskin.htm for the first layer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom