Underwater Amazon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
December 2nd 2006: I was diving a tributary of the Rio Negro, Brazil. This would be the 2nd dive in this region of the Amazon for the team. We had been plagued by poor visibility in most of the areas we had explored during the past 2 months diving in the Amazon and Rio Negro river systems. So our anticipation to this new area was intense.
We traveled farther up river than we had before in our inflatable boats. Seeking the crystal clear water we had been told we would find. Maneuvering back and forth between the overhanging canopy and overturned trees, with branches barely exposed, offering no warning to the boat operator made for an exhilarating ride up river.
As we secured the boats to the side of the riverbank we could see the bottom - OK the bottom was only five feet down, but if we could see it at all, we knew we were in the right place to begin our dive. As the team gears up, I began my final discussion with the expedition leader on our mission underwater. I was dumbfounded to see some large aquarium fish like those I had grown up with in our home aquarium swimming around our boat. I had never seen them in their natural environment. Some of them drifted by while others held still and blended into their surroundings, waiting for the next bug or vegetation to drop into the water and become part of the circle of life.
Four divers entered the water with closed circuit rebreathers, three Inspirations and one Evolution. The team was equipped with JMC SuperMasks, Kirby Morgan Dive System NATO PODS with communications, Excellerating Force Fins and one pair of the Oscillating Propulsion System Fins, made especially for the Team by Force Fin. As a Team, we glided down river until we came upon open pools. They were 28’ deep with a clean sandy bottom, minimum water movement and venturi like shoots where the bottom would turn from sand to grass and rise up, almost breaking the surface of the water. You have to pick your lane right and always be mindful of the underwater HD camera in tight quarters like these.
Some of the shallow shoots we dove through would open up from 5 feet to 30 feet, riverbank to riverbank. As we progressed downriver, the bottom dropped and presented to us a 50 yard scramble through a flooded forest of obstacles with water flowing at about 1 to 2 knots. Over the comms I would groan, “Skewers ahead”. This meant look alive or risk the embarrassment of being skewered from a rare and endangered tree branch from the Amazon rain forest.
This type of underwater environment proved to be the best place for documenting some of the deadly venomous snakes of this region.
Traveling underwater for 2 hours, we experienced numerous types of underwater terrain. At certain sections of the river it was crucial for us to hover in place and document the natural history before our eyes, such as a juvenile caiman resting near a sunken tree. It was in situations like these that the efficiency of Force Fins really paid off. We could hover in a current, film and not become worn out by the constant kicking.
Visibility would go from a clear fifty feet to a murky four feet in a span of ten yards down the river. The underwater communications were helpful in coordinating the Team, but with the current running from fierce to light, it was the fins we wore that made the difference in our success underwater on this day.
At one point, we had to even swim up river to where a trailing diver had spotted a creature that our six eyes had missed on their way down river. By just increasing the frequency of our kicks by a few per minute, we were able to push our closed circuit rebreathers, lights and cameras back up river to witness natural history at its finest.
This was underwater Amazon and we were finding another clue to understanding life on planet earth.

Last edited:
Hey Blair....witnessed your career when I lived in SB. Living in Chicago now and looking to dive in some cold water. I'm also a new diver and would greatly appreciated any product advice...especially some more info on Force Fin. What can I expect while diving the Great Lakes?

WW

WW,
It really depends where you go. Most of my diving was in the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary http://www.thunderbay.noaa.gov/about/welcome.html.
It is cold, but it is all how your dress (you will learn more about that in your class). I found the wrecks of Thunder Bay to be one of my favorite dive sites to date. Due to the fresh water of the lakes and the extreme cold a lot of maritime history is still in tack and it makes for a very powerful setting underwater. Plus I love wreck diving. A big part of diving in the great lakes is about wreck diving.

So after the importance of fins, what should I look for in a warm water suit and a cold water suit? Any guidelines for gearing down or using different fins to dive wrecks? Wich such a passion for quality, will Force Fin ever sell diving suits?

For exposure suits you will want to make sure you are comfortable. Scubaboard.com forums are a great place for more feedback. If you are going to get into wreck diving make sure you spend a little extra to ensure heavy duty quality. Basically it is easy to scrape against a wreck and you want a drysuit that will be able to touch the bulkheads of the sunken ships and not tear. Original, Pros, Excellerating and the Extra Force are all great choices for wreck diving. These models are short and are less likely to drag behind you and disturb the bottom, keeping the visibility at its best. The dynamics of the fin will allow you to scull, frog kick and almost fly through hallways with out any effort wasted.
Force Fin is all about fins. So at this current time we are not moving into any other types of diving equipment.

Hi Blair,
I can tell you as an Alaskan and genuine Yooper from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that Pros that fit a Drysuit are so nice and comfy and not a pain in the butt to put on.
I used to teach in Lake Superior and it was always a pain to put on fins till I switched over to Force Fins. As a matter of fact I am getting ready finish a private Advanced Course and my Student is wearing pros and I am wearing the new Military Force Fin.

Uncleavi,
I could not agree with you more. When gearing up becomes a harder task than the dive itself it is time to find an easier way to gear up. Sometimes it is technique and sometimes it is using different gear. Thanks for the feedback and good luck on finishing up teaching that advanced course! (what six dives did you choose?).

We did Deep, Multilevel, Fish ID. Night and Nav.
I am doing an open water tomorrow and will finish that on thurs then a First aid an two more AOW's. I am pooped!

I might have missed you by now (this thread didn't come up originally in my search)...

As usual, your experiences are truly amazing! That is SO phenomenal (sorry I missed it). I also love wreck diving and the challenges it presents and your advice about gear and fins is (of course) spot on. I have always advised students prior to wreck diving, or any diving for that matter, to experiment with their technique near a sandy bottom in a safe environment - so they understand and see how different techniques effect the bottom. It's not always possible to avoid, but you do your best. I've been behind some very experienced divers who forget their feet on occasion...

So what is the Oscillating fin?

Hi Blair,
Am enjoying your posts. What kind of gear would you recommend for diving the kelp forests near Santa Barbara?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom