Underwater Cellular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I need to get me one of those snipers to guard my gear while I'm u/w. :D

bottom_sucker once bubbled...
Just read short blurb in Network World about Canadian company in BC that has created units to provide underwater cellular access.

Go to http://www.naval-technology.com then under companies index look for DiveLink International Technologies. They have some pics of the units in action.

Waayyyyyyyyyy Kuuuulllllllllllllll

I catch you with that on Tim's charter and you will be uncerimoniously (sp?) tossed overboard sans gear and left to locate Tim's ladder etc........

arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bonk: :bonk:

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
a pink tank boot.
I heard the best way to find your gear still where you left it, is buy pink gear. :D

But UW cell phones. :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: I will not be responsible for my actions when my dive buddy stop to answer his phone underwater.

Diver0001 once bubbled...

It's not for me. BTW, it's not under water celluar access, it's an underwater communications system that uses cellular technology.

I tried one a few months ago. They work but I like the quiet too much.

R..

P.S. Hmmmm just read that webpage. Sounds like they do have a cell-phone interface. It's probably a module that you can attach to the dry part of the unit. Definitely not for me.

R..

Not even cellular technology - it's an acoustic (ultrasonic) comms system.

JT2 once bubbled...
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but one of the reasons I go diving is to get away from cell phone ringing 24/7 I sure as hell don't want one I can take underwater with me.

AMEN! BROTHER PREACH IT!!!!

(though I have to admit, the simple techy portion of it would be pretty cool, depending on the depth, wouldn't want one within 100 yards of me on a dive weekend or trip, but techy cool anyway)

I'm with JT2 on the cell phones - zero interest. What I would find more interesting: Underwater GPS.

I know that I don't ever want to feel like I have to bring a cell phone on the boat with me much less underwater! Being underwater is about the only peace I get!

I just spoke with my friend Kim (in pic w/me) who is part of a special operations team with the City of West Palm Fire Dept. She said they used some like these (Neptune's) just last night in some of their pool work. She said they are crystal clear and they were able to talk to each other underwater as well as with the surface. Incredible!

I'm with you Gearhead, underwater GPS, now thats something I think everyone would be interested in.

gilligPhant0m once bubbled...
So which company is going to produce the waterproof cell phones?

None, because cell phones, waterproof or not, won't work underwater. Radio frequency signals generally don't penetrate far into the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom