Underwater Current Magazine Scam??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasonX5

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I got this discreet package in the mail yesterday from a company called underwater current magazine. The magazine claims to not take advertisements and gives you a no BS assesment on dive operations good and bad, best places to dive, best equipment not based on advertising etc.. They supposedly travel all over the world "paying their own way" and are not swayed by advertisers. This sounds like a good theory an unbiased dive magazine but smells kind of fishy. Does anyone here subscribe to this thing or is it a load of bull?

I am very suspicious of this. If anyone knows anything about them I would be curious to hear some feeback. Thanks

Do you mean "Undercurrent" magazine? If so, Undercurrent has always impressed me as a pretty good magazine. It's been around quite awhile. I'm a long time subscribed and have even sent them articles.

drdiver1952:
Do you mean "Undercurrent" magazine? If so, Undercurrent has always impressed me as a pretty good magazine. It's been around quite awhile. I'm a long time subscribed and have even sent them articles.

I agree. Undercurrent is a publication that I have subscribed to for several years.

jasonX5:
Okay, I got this discreet package in the mail yesterday from a company called underwater current magazine. The magazine claims to not take advertisements and gives you a no BS assesment on dive operations good and bad, best places to dive, best equipment not based on advertising etc.. They supposedly travel all over the world "paying their own way" and are not swayed by advertisers. This sounds like a good theory an unbiased dive magazine but smells kind of fishy. Does anyone here subscribe to this thing or is it a load of bull?

I am very suspicious of this. If anyone knows anything about them I would be curious to hear some feeback. Thanks
Undercurrent (not "underwater current") has been around for quite a while. Their "chapbook" is a compendium of dive reports from folks around the world, and quite useful in my opinion.
They don't take advertising.
Their regular contributors are not without their prejudices and preferences, but do try to give an unbiased (to their own mind) opinion of the places they go.
With just a little bit of a discerning eye one can pick the wheat from the chaff, and I, for one, find it worth the steep subscription price.
Rick

jasonX5:

Check out his website http://www.undercurrent.org/. There you can look at the table of contents of back issues and read a few articles in the Public Area.

Thanks fellas. Sorry about the "underwater current" oops undercurrent. If it's legit then I'll probably subscribe.

I find their information very helpful.

jasonX5:
Thanks fellas. Sorry about the "underwater current" oops undercurrent. If it's legit then I'll probably subscribe.

It's legit, see what kind of trouble a typo can get you into :biggrin: Must be nice, I've been diving since 1993 and never received an invitation to subscribe heck I had never heard of it until coming to the board.

Subscribe and enjoy!
Ber :lilbunny:

Rick Murchison:
Undercurrent (not "underwater current") has been around for quite a while. Their "chapbook" is a compendium of dive reports from folks around the world, and quite useful in my opinion.
They don't take advertising.
Their regular contributors are not without their prejudices and preferences, but do try to give an unbiased (to their own mind) opinion of the places they go.
With just a little bit of a discerning eye one can pick the wheat from the chaff, and I, for one, find it worth the steep subscription price.
Rick

Agree except: I, for one, did not find continuing my subscription worth the price. I thought I was paying a lot for information on lots places I have no intention of visiting. I found that boards like this were as good or better and I didn't have to contribute to the cost of someones dive trip to get the info.

Ber Rabbit:
It's legit, see what kind of trouble a typo can get you into :biggrin: Must be nice, I've been diving since 1993 and never received an invitation to subscribe heck I had never heard of it until coming to the board.
Good reason to have ScubaBoard, huh? Glad we do. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom