Underwater gps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakdiver

Registered
Reaction score
The crew of the JP McGruder (Key West / "Atocha")-- have used my simple gps method in the past. (no data cable / antenna)...the latest incarnation of the method can be seen on Youtube by searching...."underwater gps" - (no surprise, there)
The product promoted during DEMA sounds promising...my method is the quick and dirty / poor man's method...been using the original method for about 10 years...
Marathon, FL Keys

The problem with his method IMO is:

This would be moderately accurate in still water with no current. In a slight to moderate current, I could see this device adding several feet to the accuracy of the GPS system. Not to mention it's somewhat time consuming, and would be cumbersome if you were laying out a grid on the bottom, or using it to identify a marked waypoint (magnetometer hit, metal detector hit, or sonar hit) from the surface.

While this is better than floating a boat overhead, and dropping a shot line, it's as he stated, the "poor man's method"

Although... with the price of the new wrist mounted wireless UW GPS that previewed at DEMA being touted as $700 (I think is what he said) - I wouldn't call that an outrageous price.

At the same time, I say kudos to the inventor here. Your innovative method appears to be a good one for what it is. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom