Underwater Nailer or Impact Chisel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeavyMouthBreather

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to put together a pneumatic device (or buy if it exists) to accommodate a nail gun and/or chisel attachments. Wondering if anyone has done similar and has some insight to share on the process.

Thanks in advance!

Wondering if anyone has done similar and has some insight to share on the process.
How deep underwater will you be using the pneumatic since air pressure changes with depth?
And are you going to be in Salt or Fresh water. Because there are "throw-away" cheap nailguns on Aliexpress.

How deep underwater will you be using the pneumatic since air pressure changes with depth?
And are you going to be in Salt or Fresh water. Because there are "throw-away" cheap nailguns on Aliexpress.
We are looking at initial use to around 15 feet. If we are able to get a working device at that depth, we would scale to as deep as 30 feet. Warm Salt water.

We are looking at initial use to around 15 feet. If we are able to get a working device at that depth, we would scale to as deep as 30 feet. Warm Salt water.
ScubaBoard's best expert on U/W pneumatic's has to be @Wookie and his former boat the Spree. Hopefully he will comment.

I use pneumatic chisel guns underwater frequently, usually to about 20 foot depth. Generally for paint removal prior to welding, and slag removal after welding. The cheap ones last one or two outings, despite having oil run through them and living in a bucket of diesel between jobs. The better brands (Ingersoll Rand) can last a dozen or more jobs. I have also heard of soaking tools in antifreeze overnight and between jobs for a more environmentally friendly preservative. I can't comment on underwater nail guns having never tried that application.

Absent a dedicated underwater tool I will use cheap pneumatic chisel guns for one shot jobs, otherwise it is worth buying hydraulic tools made for repeated underwater uses

Absent a dedicated underwater tool I will use cheap pneumatic chisel guns for one shot jobs, otherwise it is worth buying hydraulic tools made for repeated underwater uses
I will check out underwater hydraulic equipment. This seems like the most robust/tested option, but borders on commercial diving in my mind. My team is scientific divers, so we try to keep things lightweight for underwater work.

I could see a nail gun working underwater, just from my experience of fixing them.
Buy it may need a bit of a snokle on the exhaust.
As long as you are not pushing the biggest nails its rated for you probably would be fine. Time to experiment.
Also framing nail guns tend to be quite easy to remove the head. Remove guts and spray down the ram and cylinder

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom