Underwater reg swaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about how a piston and diaphragm reg works from an engineering standpoint I can't think of why switching them underwater and then purging the hell out of them would be any different.

Thinking about whether this would be a problem or not, thinking about how they work internally it should only be a problem if there's retained water, corrosion, or salt crystal formation. I don't see any reason why you'd junk a reg after this. just break them down and clean them (if you even need to do that after freshwater flood).

In terms of the spg, would the small amount of water that got down there mess with the Bourdon tube? I actually don't know but I'm guessing not really?

In terms of the spg, would the small amount of water that got down there mess with the Bourdon tube? I actually don't know but I'm guessing not really?
I guess it could but I've never got water up there that I can recall. I think the hole is too small so its tough for water to get in there against the air that's occupying that space.

In cave diving, the Scubapro MK2/R190 has only one moving part in the first stage. That's why it's used so frequently on stage and deco bottles DIN configuration. If the feces hits the fan...you can switch these regs under water with no damage in fresh water. Ya your SPG is toast but who cares.

I've never swapped a 1st stage underwater, only a couple 2nds. But, if I needed it I would of course do it. And if I did it, I would probably just soak the gear in water and blow/shake dry afterward. The only gear I would worry about being affected would be spgs, and I'd just pressurize them and compare them to spgs that hadn't seen saltwater intrusion. If they read the same/similar to my known goods, I'd call them good and press on.

This is a discussion we have in NAUI's Extreme Exposure Course. The short of it, do what you have to do to get home. I've switched regulators (Apeks XTX50 - balanced diaphragm) underwater before, just remember to purge your hose before breathing from it. And as others have mentioned, have it serviced afterwards.

"Have you switched regs between tanks underwater?"
To me, if I "needed" to switch regulators, that would mean I already had a significant gear failure and it was time to immediately abort the dive and surface. I can't think of any really likely reason that I'd need to stay down and switch regs across tanks.

Well, maybe, if the bad guys from SPECTRE had sabotaged my gear and the hot babe was still chained down to the chest of jewels and I just needed another twenty minutes down there to get the jewels. Or the babe. (Hey, it could happen.(G)

To me, if I "needed" to switch regulators, that would mean I already had a significant gear failure and it was time to immediately abort the dive and surface. I can't think of any really likely reason that I'd need to stay down and switch regs across tanks.

Well, maybe, if the bad guys from SPECTRE had sabotaged my gear and the hot babe was still chained down to the chest of jewels and I just needed another twenty minutes down there to get the jewels. Or the babe. (Hey, it could happen.(G)

Another possible situation would be if you needed the air for a deco stop and the choices could be to switch regs or surface and spend three days in the tank.

2400 feet back in a cave there is no "abort the dive and surface"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom