Unfortunate lobster news story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive seen about 10 lobsters over the last 2 years with it!
all were in the folly cove area(because thats where i dive the most?)
Two had half of their tails rotted away and blackened!
The meat in some of the areas was wierd colored (Yellowish.)
Rick L

Had I have not seen this post and ran upon one of these I think it would scare the bejesus out of me yuck. Especially seeing a large one all rotted out , I think id never go back to that dive site ever agian.

The two with the rotted tails both were rotted on the right(v notch side)
And were females? Maybe the open v notch makes it easier to get?
Who knows!!
Rick

Fascinating! After reading the article on the ULD, I immediately thought of the green turtles in Hawaii. I dove in Maui in July and again in November of last year and was checking out the number of turtles with tumors (a form of herpes virus). After spotting them at only one or two dive site locations I spoke to the LDS nearby. He said the turtles appeared to be the locations where a sewage treatment site was nearby. Even though the water itself had no overt signs of pollution, his theory was that the turtles succumb to this because of the potential residual chemical runoff into the water from the soil nearby. The turtles can survive the tumors.

LDS also said there are years where there are more turtles afflicted than others. Any cyclical activity noted by lobster fishermen over the years of ULD? Any previous reportings historically speaking?

So many questions regarding the lobsters survival rates with this disease and whether it is curable or not. In any case, such a bummer for the creature.

As far as I know, it's an emerging disease (pretty new) and it's spreading each year to new areas. I've seen a decent number of bugs with it on the Sotuh Shore, I've eaten them as well, the meat tastes the same.

MASS-Diver:
As far as I know, it's an emerging disease (pretty new) and it's spreading each year to new areas. I've seen a decent number of bugs with it on the Sotuh Shore, I've eaten them as well, the meat tastes the same.

I can't specifcally recall seeing any in my area (Salem/Gloucester) but I do opt for another bug if I see one that does not look healthy to me.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I can't specifcally recall seeing any in my area (Salem/Gloucester) but I do opt for another bug if I see one that does not look healthy to me.

--Matt

I have not seen one of the NS either. I read they were safe - so I eat them, my shell still looks OK :wink:

That's not too good...hopefully they can find out what is causing it to happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom