Unfortunately, I'm limited to a one-tank afternoon dive. Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yukon Jack

Registered
Reaction score
Returning to Coz in a couple of weeks after many years, but this time I'm on a cruise ship that doesn't arrive until 11:00 a.m. Fortunately it has a late evening departure, but I'd rather be back on the ship by 5 or 6 so I can help my elderly mom for dinner. From reading previous posts, it seems I might be best off to take a taxi to the southern part of the island if that's closer to the better reefs, and where I can do a one-tank dive and get back to shore. Any thoughts, comments or dive op recommendations that might fit the bill? TIA

Not sure who does a single tank afternoon trip but Tres Pelicanos usually does two tank afternoon trips with a departure time of 13:15 from their shop (13:30 from the marina) with a return around 17:00 to 17:30. You might wish contact Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com to check if they have a boat going out on your arrival date.

Thanks Gopbroek. I'll def give them a call. I'd prefer a one-tank dive but two-tank options are fine too so long as I can get back to the cruise boat to be with my mom for dinner. She probably wouldn't mind if I'm running a few minutes late, and anyway I'm too old to be scolded, I think. :)

If that doesn't work for you (I'm a TP regular) Dive Paradise & Aqua Safari usually offer a 1 tank trip in the afternoons to Paradise Reef but it may depend on having have enough divers that day.

First, good for you, taking your elderly Mom on a cruise. I hate cruise ships - floating prisons, as far as I'm concerned. The one and only cruise I was on, I went because my Mother, several years after my Dad died, when she was 79 and a little wobbly, really wanted to go on a cruise but would not go alone. It was not my idea of a great vacation, but Mom had a great time. Anyone who will take his elderly Mom on a cruise has my respect (and sympathy).

If you are coming in at the International Pier, the Dive with Martin dive shop is right there at the end of the pier, and DWM caters to cruise ship divers - rental equipment is even included in the price. Email Dive with Martin with your arrival details and see what they might be able to arrange.

If that doesn't work for you (I'm a TP regular) Dive Paradise & Aqua Safari usually offer a 1 tank trip in the afternoons to Paradise Reef but it may depend on having have enough divers that day.

Thanks for the info cicopo! I'll check them out.

First, good for you, taking your elderly Mom on a cruise. I hate cruise ships - floating prisons, as far as I'm concerned. The one and only cruise I was on, I went because my Mother, several years after my Dad died, when she was 79 and a little wobbly, really wanted to go on a cruise but would not go alone. It was not my idea of a great vacation, but Mom had a great time. Anyone who will take his elderly Mom on a cruise has my respect (and sympathy).

If you are coming in at the International Pier, the Dive with Martin dive shop is right there at the end of the pier, and DWM caters to cruise ship divers - rental equipment is even included in the price. Email Dive with Martin with your arrival details and see what they might be able to arrange.

Thanks DiverDan. I agree with you, cruise ships are the worst and it's not anything I'd do if it wasn't for mom. She's 94 and I'm more than thankful every day she is still here. Anyway, I'll get in contact with DWM. Take care.

We used to love cruising until we discovered diving in Cozumel. DWM was our first op when we took a cruise to Coz for our first blue water dives. It will take longer to get off the boat than it will to walk to the dive shop. Shoot them an email and see what they can do. We had 4 divers in our group so we were able to charter our own boat and it was waiting on us when we got there. Im sure there are cruiser forums, maybe even on Scubaboard, that you could meet up with other divers on your cruise to charter your own boat. I think Carnival had a boat specific forum to meet up with other people, other cruise lines may do the same.

I would not book with the cruise lines dive op unless you can verify they use 6 pack boats. At least find out which op they use and see what trip advisor reviews tell you. There is one that Carnival used to use, maybe still does, that will put 20+divers on a slow boat then give them crappy gear and short dives...no thanks.

As far as what reef, that is usually decided based on conditions of the day and the dive skills of everyone on the boat. It also matter on what you like. Deep swim throughs like Columbia deep or pinnacles are fun, but will shorten your dive. Shallow drift dives with lots of sea life are my old favorite, Franchesca, palancar gardens, Cedral, tormentos, are all great usually loaded with life like sharks, eels, turtles, and my favorite, trunk fish and cow fish. (They just look like Darwinian mistakes) If you're a wall guy Santa Rosa or I think there is another wall, but it's more like a steep hill.

My new favorite it Barracuda in a moderate current. Big Big fun. Almost hard to keep water out of your mouth from smiling so wide! Probably not an option unless you took a cab to a pick up point (villa Aldora?) in the far north. San Juan has gardens of finger coral that are beautiful. A north 2 tank dive could do San Juan And Barracuda, but you would probably have to dive with Aldora (they have a hotel with their own pier far north) to make that happen, otherwise your in for a loooong boat ride and may not have time.

Best case scenario, find 3 other divers to buddy with and charter your own boat with DWM. If that is not a workable deal, I believe Blue XTSea has a cruise ship deal as well, maybe Tres Pelicanos too, shoot them an email and see what they can do.

Good luck, safe travels. If you're on Carnival...have a chocolate molten lava cake...or 10... for me!

Jay

I have a one-tank afternoon dive scheduled with Aldora in about 3 months. We're on the Norwegian Pearl at that time, similar situation.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Private charter would be the best and I might try posting on the cruiser boards. It's a smaller Holland ship so there won't be as many potential divers as compared to the bigger barges, but it's def worth a try.

I've read on other posts that the afternoon boats usually don't go as far out as the morning boats -- that's why I wondered whether it would be better to taxi down to the southern end. On the other hand, most of the dive ops seem to be located near town, so maybe taking a taxi is not a good option.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom