United Airlines - Checking Scuba Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s hard to know what an airline will do now days but if the tanks are small enough to fit in a checked bag and you don’t exceed the weight limit, security should be the only ones to know so long as you meet their requirements.

if you ask them they will just read the policy, over and over again.

Have flown united a number of times to bon with a six cu ft tank and no mention of a charge even when stolen from my checked bag by a united employee. I made a claim and they paid. Flew united last June and no issue with the small tank in checked luggage

I was going to take a 3Lt via the US from the U.K. to Belize. United wanted US$200 on each entry and departure for the US, total 800. It was cheaper to buy a cylinder and donate it to the dive centre than carry one.

This is what I was worried about and if the United airlines check in person wants to go all airline passive aggressive on me I have no stance since it clearly states this charge on the United website.

I’m United 1K. Flown with a 30cu ft pony internationally many times. Never had to pay any premiums. Luck of the draw?

I am hoping that my 1K status will help me "fly" under the radar and they will just treat it as normal checked baggage sounds like this was the case for you. And obviously when I check in I will not be volunteering up that I have scuba tanks in my baggage as they never specifically ask this nor are they classified as a dangerous item when the valve is removed.

Have flown united a number of times to bon with a six cu ft tank and no mention of a charge even when stolen from my checked bag by a united employee. I made a claim and they paid. Flew united last June and no issue with the small tank in checked luggage

Good to know

I definitely think luck of the draw is a major deciding factor these days. Pre-Covid there was (IMHO) more consistency in how things were handled, but with loss of experienced staff and retention issues, it all boils down to who you are dealing with on a particular day. The same goes for customer service when you call in to get help.
Your flier status is the major determinant here. Someone in super economy class will have an entirely different experience no matter who the agent is.

Personally I would take the valves off and pack them in a suitcase with enough padding to keep them from rattling around check them and pay the overweight fees if need be and plead ignorance to the policy if they got wise. But hey that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom