University Class Looking for Diving Location.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums.

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd complete your Profile...

:D

Having some amount of experience with the very type of classes you're describing, here are my recommendations for the Caribbean. Teaching marine ecology stinks without proper lab facilities, and these joints are pretty hassle free and relatively cheap. If this is your first experience with this sort of thing, you really don't want to try messing with hotels and resorts. In fact most folks that have done this for years and years have learned to avoid them altogether. Some faculty have had success renting ranch houses in the Sian Kaan biosphere reserve (Mexico) for their students, and it's likely that such a strategy would work well in places like Utila or the Bahamas. In your case I would advise starting with something simple, like chartering facility use of the places I've outlined below. There are probably others too.

1. Akumal, Mexico. Check out this link for the marine station there. They host university-run classes.
http://ceakumal.org/1031.html

2. Turks & Caicos Islands. School for Field Studies. They also rent out their facility.
http://www.fieldstudies.org/pages/799_base_rates.cfm

3. Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences. Ditto.
http://www.anthonyskey.com/eng/rimsintr.html

Dear Everyone,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will look into each location that was suggested. The main theme of the course is to get a better understanding of the ocean, and the ability to feel comfortable in and around the ocean. We would want to do some simple research project for those that are diving. For instance, comparing the flora and fauna of different bottom types, or different depths.

Sincerely,
Elaine G

I have a buddy who runs a baseline research station in the world heritage biosphere reserve at Xian Khan (just south of Tulum, 160 km south of Cancun).

If you pm me I can give you his email.

cancun mark:
I have a buddy who runs a baseline research station in the world heritage biosphere reserve at Xian Khan (just south of Tulum, 160 km south of Cancun).
That wouldn't be Wes Tunnell would it? He goes there every summer to run those surveys.

Welcome ElaineG...glad you stopped by and hope that you will stay awhile. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are ready and willing to help in anyway, all you have to is ask.

Again, welcome to SB.

-ZD

Elaineg:
I am from a small university in Iowa, and we are planning a 2-week course in marine ecology for next year (February or May). We are trying to decide on the best location and am wondering if anyone has some input.It would be for a class of about 15 students plus 2 faculty.

The criteria in order of importance are:
1) Warm climate as in Mexico, the Caribbean, or Hawaii.
2) Cheap living accomodations and scuba rental fees.
3) Easy to moderate diving conditions for brand new divers.
4) Beautiful location on land and under water.

Please let me know if you know of or have heard of any locations that would fit the above criteria. Thanks.

Elaine
I would recomend Cozumel. They are very protective of their reef, fish are very active, light is great (underwater) and diving is relatively easy. You can really find inexpensive accomodations also.

You are going to be so glad you found this board. I have been diving for 15 years, yet have learned so much in the short time I have been on SB.

Welcome to SB!

K

Back
Top Bottom