Upcoming Blackbeard's Liveaboard Trip and a Cheeseburger in Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrw1987

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

About to go on Blackbeard's liveaboard with my wife this January. I have never been on a liveaboard before, any tips are welcome! I am extremely excited and have been readding all I can about the experience. We will be staying on Nassau one night before we board. I have been dieting down for this trip and I am dreaming of a cheeseburger in paradise. Does anyone have any recommendations to upstage Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant on Nassau Paradise Island?

Thanks,
Rob

Have a conch salad at Goldie’s. Having a cheeseburger in a place that doesn’t specialize in raising beef is silly AFAIC.

You won’t find conch salad worth eating anywhere aside from down island, and the Conch shacks on Nassau specialize in making it. Don’t waste your time on anything else.

Have a conch salad at Goldie’s. Having a cheeseburger in a place that doesn’t specialize in raising beef is silly AFAIC.

You won’t find conch salad worth eating anywhere aside from down island, and the Conch shacks on Nassau specialize in making it. Don’t waste your time on anything else.

Thanks for the tip!

I’ve been on Blackbeard’s a few times - it’s a lot of fun! Think of packing more in terms of what you’d want camping. Bring two lightweight/quick dry camping towels (one for towling off saltwater above deck, one for showers below deck). You’ll want a water bottle or thermos/coffee mug (with a lid). A good rainjacket and boat coat, with plenty of sunscreen - you’ll be mostly outdoors on deck the vast majority of the day when not diving.

When you get to the boat, and they let you start to set up your gear, go get your weights first. They provide weights but there’s a limited number of 2- and 3-pound weights, and if you wait too long you may be stuck with a weird weight configuration.

Another tip - pick a dive locker that is under the covered awning (near the steering wheel); those spots offer sun and rain protection, which is nice when gearing up.

Have fun!!!

Blackbeards specific:
  • You need to completly unpack and give them your bags\suitcases for shore storage before departing.
  • Putting your clothing and other items in small soft bags or packing cubes that you can stuff around your bunk is helpful. Your bunk is the only space you get for you AND your stuff.
  • (Note that this is as of when I went in Feb '22. - Check the current policy to see if they have implemented a centralized charging station under watch) You can only charge devices with you, while you are IN your bunk. Consider a multi-tap extension cord with both outlets and built-in USB ports for simplicity. I put everyhing in an open reg-bag for charging and just (un)plugged the cord at the outlet as appropriate.
  • Buy a big multipack or two of plastic spring clamps (not clothespins) from a hardware store, Lowes, HD or Amazon. All of your wet stuff (wetsuit, hood, towels, rashguard\bathing suits, etc.) are going to spend the trip on the lifelines aroud the boat. Always fold things over the line in-balance and use at least 2 clamps per item; if it goes overboard, it is gone for good.
  • Shower is located in the main salon and freshwater for rinsing off after a saltwater shower is limited to 30sec\day. If you are located in one of the forward compartments, that means carrying your stuff up over and down and then back. Consider just doing a "crew shower" with the warm "unlimited" condensate hose on the rear deck after stripping off your wetsuit after your last dive.
  • Keep in mind that it really is rustic "camping at sea" with a pile of new friends that you dont know yet. There is limited space and you will get in eachothers way. Go out of your way to be mindful of, generous to, and forgiving of your other passengers and the crew. It will pay dividends.
  • If you are flying back home on Friday, consider the added weight of your wet stuff. It will not be anywhere close to dry by morning on its own (even assuming no rain). I ran my stuff through the marina's dryer a couple times on low upon returning to port.

@Wookie is right. If you are ok with local color and flavor, and assuming that you are staying at the marina or otherwise close-by, walk down to the bridge where the seafood shacks are. Lots of options.

I’ve been on Blackbeard’s a few times - it’s a lot of fun! Think of packing more in terms of what you’d want camping. Bring two lightweight/quick dry camping towels (one for towling off saltwater above deck, one for showers below deck). You’ll want a water bottle or thermos/coffee mug (with a lid). A good rainjacket and boat coat, with plenty of sunscreen - you’ll be mostly outdoors on deck the vast majority of the day when not diving.

When you get to the boat, and they let you start to set up your gear, go get your weights first. They provide weights but there’s a limited number of 2- and 3-pound weights, and if you wait too long you may be stuck with a weird weight configuration.

Another tip - pick a dive locker that is under the covered awning (near the steering wheel); those spots offer sun and rain protection, which is nice when gearing up.

Have fun!!!
Thank you for the reply Rilelen!! Great tip about picking a dive locker under the awning.

Blackbeards specific:
  • You need to completly unpack and give them your bags\suitcases for shore storage before departing.
  • Putting your clothing and other items in small soft bags or packing cubes that you can stuff around your bunk is helpful. Your bunk is the only space you get for you AND your stuff.
  • (Note that this is as of when I went in Feb '22. - Check the current policy to see if they have implemented a centralized charging station under watch) You can only charge devices with you, while you are IN your bunk. Consider a multi-tap extension cord with both outlets and built-in USB ports for simplicity. I put everyhing in an open reg-bag for charging and just (un)plugged the cord at the outlet as appropriate.
  • Buy a big multipack or two of plastic spring clamps (not clothespins) from a hardware store, Lowes, HD or Amazon. All of your wet stuff (wetsuit, hood, towels, rashguard\bathing suits, etc.) are going to spend the trip on the lifelines aroud the boat. Always fold things over the line in-balance and use at least 2 clamps per item; if it goes overboard, it is gone for good.
  • Shower is located in the main salon and freshwater for rinsing off after a saltwater shower is limited to 30sec\day. If you are located in one of the forward compartments, that means carrying your stuff up over and down and then back. Consider just doing a "crew shower" with the warm "unlimited" condensate hose on the rear deck after stripping off your wetsuit after your last dive.
  • Keep in mind that it really is rustic "camping at sea" with a pile of new friends that you dont know yet. There is limited space and you will get in eachothers way. Go out of your way to be mindful of, generous to, and forgiving of your other passengers and the crew. It will pay dividends.
  • If you are flying back home on Friday, consider the added weight of your wet stuff. It will not be anywhere close to dry by morning on its own (even assuming no rain). I ran my stuff through the marina's dryer a couple times on low upon returning to port.

@Wookie is right. If you are ok with local color and flavor, and assuming that you are staying at the marina or otherwise close-by, walk down to the bridge where the seafood shacks are. Lots of options.
JD, Thank you very much for your detailed tips! I didn't know about the crew shower. Nor that you could only charge when you're in your bunk. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom