UPPER KEYS diving, thursday, 5/7/2015, a few pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
blustery winds and showers finally abated today offshore key largo. low humidity, sunny skies, light winds, and seas <1FT. beneath the seas, conditions not so optimum. very crowded on the deep wrecks and shallow sites so a double on deep MOLASSES REEF buoys M28 and M27. light current, initially dusty blue then green water, visibility a below average 35-40FT(similar viz reports everywhere yesterday and today), water temp cooling to 78F @ 45-92FT. great to get wet once again, abundant tropicals but overall quiet out there. pics from TIMG,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• dm1.jpg
    dm1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 83
  • dm2.jpg
    dm2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 72
  • dm3.jpg
    dm3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 78
  • dm4.jpg
    dm4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 81
  • dm5.jpg
    dm5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 69
  • dm6.jpg
    dm6.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
  • dm7.jpg
    dm7.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 73
  • dm8.jpg
    dm8.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 69
  • dm9.jpg
    dm9.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 76
  • dm10.jpg
    dm10.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
  • dm11.jpg
    dm11.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 67
  • dm12.jpg
    dm12.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 64
  • dm13.jpg
    dm13.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 67
  • dm14.jpg
    dm14.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 61
  • dm15.jpg
    dm15.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 65
Nice squid

Nice squid

I agree: Very cool squid pix! I've only seen reef squid half a dozen times: they usually run off fairly quickly but I once had an epic experience at the BHB where four simply hovered a few feet in front of me and my buddy and flashed through various colors and patterns on their bodies and slowly moved their medusa-like tentacles for quite a period of time. It was like a scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind: very memorable, though sadly, I didn't have a camera. Enjoyed the other shots too!

I agree: Very cool squid pix! I've only seen reef squid half a dozen times: they usually run off fairly quickly but I once had an epic experience at the BHB where four simply hovered a few feet in front of me and my buddy and flashed through various colors and patterns on their bodies and slowly moved their medusa-like tentacles for quite a period of time. It was like a scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind: very memorable, though sadly, I didn't have a camera. Enjoyed the other shots too!

Thank you sportxlh. Yes, if you are still, and not in "chase mode", they can be very approachable. Here are some references on squid from a column I wrote a while back. Some interesting stuff here:

How Squid Are Inspiring Better Camouflage For Soldiers
How Squid Are Inspiring Better Camouflage For Soldiers | Popular Science

Fact or Fiction: Can a Squid Fly out of Water?
Fact or Fiction: Can a Squid Fly out of Water? - Scientific American

Caribbean Reef Squid: A Conundrum for Neo-Darwinian Evolution?
Science, Reason & Faith

Caribbean Reef Squid: A Conundrum for Neo-Darwinian Evolution? sse comments
Caribbean Reef Squid: A Conundrum for Neo-Darwinian Evolution? | Uncommon Descent

Squid World
Squid Facts and Information

CA Landings data:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/cpshms/marketsquidlanding.asp

Scientific American
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130725141759.htm

Why Ceph&#8230;. change color..Wood.
http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/cephschool/WhyCephalopodsChangeColor.pdf

Hi Tim,

Gorgeous photos, as usual. +1, beautiful Caribbean Reef Squid, particularly the solitary one. Many other very nice photos including the Balloonfish, Porcupinefish, Blue Tangs, and Orangespotted Filefish. I particularly like the shot of the two variations of Bluehead juveniles with the Striped Parrotfish juveniles

I'm not quite as jealous today as I got in 2 nice dives in Jupiter, 1st for a 10 day stay :D

Best, Craig

Hi Tim,

Gorgeous photos, as usual. +1, beautiful Caribbean Reef Squid, particularly the solitary one. Many other very nice photos including the Balloonfish, Porcupinefish, Blue Tangs, and Orangespotted Filefish. I particularly like the shot of the two variations of Bluehead juveniles with the Striped Parrotfish juveniles

I'm not quite as jealous today as I got in 2 nice dives in Jupiter, 1st for a 10 day stay :D

Best, Craig

Thank you Craig.

Ditto on the squid Tim :D

Damn reefman...guess I'll have to throw a 3 mil shorty in the suitcase :eyebrow:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom