UPS Lost My Wetsuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered a wetsuit from scuba.com, but it was not the right size. So scuba.com sent me a return label for an exchange to a larger size. I took the original box down to UPS (a real UPS center) and watched the clerk tape the label on the box while it was sitting on the scale. Just like every other of the 100's of times I've been there, I thanked her and walked out the door. I just figured the box was in good hands. That was Feb 1st.

Today, I tracked the package and it looks like it hasn't been scanned into the system. So I went down to UPS to find my box. No such box anywhere. I showed them the original label that I re-printed. They say it was never scanned in. What!? I have no receipt. It was a pre-paid label. I dropped it off and walked away. Scuba.com is filing a claim, but I don't know how that will do any good. There is absolutely not way for me to prove I'm not a liar.

I did send the manager a photo of the exact same box that I still had from a hooded vest I bought earlier. Hopefully some one will remember seeing it somewhere.

"UPS center" as in

the customer counter at the logistics depot where the fleet of trucks transfer packages
-or-
a UPS Store(front) in a strip mall?

UPS Stores (often/always privately owned) usually weigh, scan, and issue a receipt when you drop off a prepaid item.

Last time I did a drop-off at a UPS center/depot, I was still using a multi-part record book which they signed.

Didn’t get a receipt from ups when they scanned it in?
Nope and never have in the past when I’ve dropped off 100’s of work-related parcels with pre-printed labels. Never lost a box…until now. Maybe something will turn up, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to eat this one. Expensive lesson that I hope someone else reading this will learn from.
"UPS center" as in

the customer counter at the logistics depot where the fleet of trucks transfer packages.
This one. I’m really baffled on this one. Even if the first clerk forgot to scan it then the loaders/drivers would have had to scan it and something would have gotten flagged.

If they have the counter covered, getting video pulled is probably unlikely unless you quietly get access to the facility manager and they are sympathetic. Other option would be if local police/sheriff is bored and willing to start an investigation - they could force retrieval.

If they are shipping in a box with Scuba.com or Adorama plastered all over it, or even just the return address is noticed, it might have warranted further off-site investigation by an opportunist working there.:(

Whilst working for a previous company in 2002 we shipped 20 pieces of equipment via UPS from Madrid to our company office in Munich. Only 19 pieces arrived, with one missing that they could not locate. This equipment was not small by any means 1x1x0.5m and weighing around 10Kg.

Fast forward to 2009, just before I left thew company, we were contacted by some guy in France who purchased the equipment from UPS in some UPS auction in France related to "unable to deliver to the addressee" or something like that.

This guy was trying to sell the package to us at our current selling price and we declined. The packaging had never been opened and the company address was very clearly displayed on the outside :rolleyes:

Every parcel I've dropped off at UPS has had a receipt offered. Amazon returns were through ups here for years and I was there a few times a month. Pay attention and say yes when they ask if you want a receipt and if they don't then you ask them for one. That is your only proof to the company you've actuality sent a return parcel to them. Sounds like you may be SOL

Nope and never have in the past when I’ve dropped off 100’s of work-related parcels with pre-printed labels. Never lost a box…until now. Maybe something will turn up, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to eat this one. Expensive lesson that I hope someone else reading this will learn from.

This one. I’m really baffled on this one. Even if the first clerk forgot to scan it then the loaders/drivers would have had to scan it and something would have gotten flagged.

Always ask for a receipt.

Back
Top Bottom